THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HookedOnQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Decided to try a fatty for the first time this morning.. Did a plain bacon wrapped fatty using jimmy dean sage and some thick cut bacon no rub or anything added.. Set the kettle up for indirect using a few chunks of apple wood my target temp was 250 but i think i started with too many lit coals and couldnt get my temp under 300 so i just let it go at that cooked about 2 hours at 300 till internal temp was 175... Overall it turned out good.. Didnt really get the smokering i was looking for and i think next time i wont use thick cut bacon so it will crisp better..

Last edited:
Looks good, I smoked my first fatties for the 4th. I too didnt seem to get the smokering I expected. Maybe its the applewood? I used it too

Looks good, I did two fatties the other day, one with bacon and one without and i've got to say I'm starting to lean towards the naked fatty. I have always thought that bacon was the only way to go but I'm a changed man.

NICE! .... They are Awesome! ...... You can hit 250+- with your kettle, if you use a "fuse" or similar method & only light 6-8 briquettes & "snake" your briquettes around the side of your kettle...... Once you get your temps dialed in, I would suggest marking the spot (with a Sharpy etc.) on your vent control as a point of reference for temp control...... IMO, best bacon for a Fatty is the cheapest/thinnest stuff you can find..... & use your knife edge to stretch it to about 2x its normal length on a cutting board/block for wrapping

Back