Insuring your grill

BoneDaddy's

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone insures their grill? I don't think I am going to cater or anything, just friends and comps. My smoker is on a trailer and ran around $4k.
-Frank

I tried to add my pit (trailer mounted) as a scheduled item to my home-owner's policy, and they could not do that, claiming they didn't have the correct appraisal category. Instead, I added it to my auto policy as custom built utillity trailer, and I gave them a value based on what I felt it would cost to rebuild it. If there ever is a loss from accident or theft, I'll have to pay a deductable and appraisers will get involved, but I feel fairly certain that they will cover replacement cost. Hopefully I won't ever have to find out.

If you do anything "commercial" with your pit, including catering or competing as a company for tax purposes(SP, LP, LLC, Corp, etc), you may need to insure items as commercial property, which costs a bit more. Consult your tax professional and insurance underwriters of course...:)

dmp

So is it considered property on your HO policy, or a vehicle on your auto policy?

dmp
Yes and yes, When it's parked here it's under my blanket HO policy. When It's on the road It's insured under it's own rider on my auto insurance. From a policy standpoint I suspect its a separate vehicle. They wrote a rider and I assigned a value to the unit.

Thanks. I may need to call my insurance company again and see if I can get a property rider for it, but what does the property rider get you? Is a parked vehicle not insured as a vehicle if it gets damaged or stolen? Is there a lower deductable for you in that case?

dmp

I just called State Farm here in PA and the will NOT insure my trailer. They told me they will not insure anything with a cooker on it. I am not happy about that at all. Now I have to find some other company that will.

I suppose I should have mentioned that my insurance company is Liberty Mutual. I've been with them for years and have been very happy. When I got the auto policy on the pit, I was very clear about what I had and wanted, and they spoke to back room under-writers and got back to me to make sure we had the right product. I would recommend any one call them with cooker insurance questions, but keep in mind that insurance often changes from state to state.

dmp

liability extends from the vehicle pulling the trailer/grill and the the trailer/grill must have its own physical damage policy.

I just called State Farm here in PA and the will NOT insure my trailer. They told me they will not insure anything with a cooker on it. I am not happy about that at all. Now I have to find some other company that will.

My State Farm agent didn't have any problem getting me into a policy. It insures my trailer, smoker, and everything in it. It also covers me when I vend at comps or bbq festivals that allow me to get a temporary food permit and vend. Odd that your's in PA won't insure it, maybe talk to another SF agent.

My State Farm agent didn't have any problem getting me into a policy. It insures my trailer, smoker, and everything in it. It also covers me when I vend at comps or bbq festivals that allow me to get a temporary food permit and vend. Odd that your's in PA won't insure it, maybe talk to another SF agent.

it's most likely that state farm agents just can't sell it in his state. rules vary from state to state with state farm rather than from agent to agent.

I called my State Farm agent here and was told they do not insure any trailers where cooking is taking place.

We have Partners Mutual and they paid replacement cost on my cooker that burned up on the way home from a comp.No sweat ,went in talked with our agent told them what happened.Since the cooker was built by me they went on the internet to a site with cookers like I had and used that for a price and the next day they had a check at the office. When I built the next rig which was a cooker and a trailer they asked what I valued it and insured it that way. Liability comes from the tow vehicle here in Wi some states may not be the same.

These days grills are being targeted by the metal thieves. You look at it as a great cooking tool, they look at it as $200 from the scrap dealer.

Does your trailer have a VIN# and tags?

I have most of my insurance with State Farm. My trailer mounted offset is covered by them with an inland marine policy for $80 per year. I have a business policy with them, but I'd have to look up the premium. They would not insure my food truck since it has a flame source (grill and range) inside. I've got that insured through Progressive.

Back