Thread: Bagna cauda
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #81
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQboy View Post
A few moments ago my husband came into the room and said "my BBQ forum has 6 pages on Bagna Caulda". Not believing this I came in and read all the entries. My Northern Italian family have been making BC since my Nona came from Piedmont in 1909 and this is not anything like an authentic Bagna Caulda (Hot Bath). We traditionally make this on Christmas Eve. Here goes the recipe.
4 sticks of butter
1 head of garlic minced
8 tins of anchovies
heavy cream (exact amt I don't know, about 1/2 C)

heat until butter melted and hot. Serve like a fondue or on a hot plate.Serve with Chianti, crusty Italian bread, cabbage, celery, green peppers, mushrooms, or anything you like.
My husband will not eat it, the fool, and he claims the towels I use the next morning reek of garlic. Sounds like a good thing to me. Martha Stewart of all people has a recipe too.
I will survey my family and see if the mushroom soup one is worth a try.
hmmm

1 lb. melted butter (4- sticks - Check)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (or 4 cans of cream of mushroom soup)
1 tube anchovy paste or 1 can of anchovies (8 tins - wow! that's a LOT of anchovies)
1/2 cup minced garlic (1 head - close enough - Check)
1 pint heavy cream (Check)

Me thinks the only differences between the one you posted and the one Bigmista posted is the amount of anchovies was scaled down and cream of mushroom/chicken soup was added to compensate.

I made this over the holidays and it was a huge hit (and yes all Italians)

We also served in fondue manner