• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Simply Marvelous butt

yobtaf

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got an 8 pound butt in the fridge waiting for the UDS. Ill get up about 2 or so and get it going. I have a mix of hickory and red oak ready to go and gonna try out this pan for a diffuser.
IMG_9538.jpg

IMG_9537.jpg

Trimed it up and rubbed it with Simply Marvelous season all and cherry :becky:
IMG_9539.jpg

IMG_9543.jpg

Be back in a few hours :-D

Any advice would be great.

Looks good so far. I just got a bottle of the cherry rub, can't wait to try it out.

Sounds good
Need to get some of the SM rub

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

13 hours and now sitting in the cooler, pulled at 198°. :becky:
IMG_9559.jpg

after chasing a erratic idle on my car and not finding it, Im ready to relax and eat some of this, then rest up for another day of why does my car run like crap :doh:

13 hours and now sitting in the cooler, pulled at 198°. :becky:
IMG_9559.jpg

after chasing a erratic idle on my car and not finding it, Im ready to relax and eat some of this, then rest up for another day of why does my car run like crap :doh:

That butt looks good. As for the erratic idle, did you check the vacuum hoses? I have seen a loose or disconnected one cause this.

Here she is pulled
IMG_9563.jpg

gotta love the low fuel use of the UDS :thumb:
IMG_9560.jpg

going to try a bit with some sauce that I made just a simple vinegar sauce, some with 50/50 blues hog, and some with some Simply Marvelous cherry sauce:p
This is a test run before my wifes 40th bday party. Ill be cooking 3 that day. This was 13 hours no foil. I wanted more bark so I didnt foil.

Well it was kinda dry... and really no smoke flavor. I had red oak and hickory chunks in the basket. At the beginning of the cook after it went to the thin blue smoke I put the butt on, after awhile I couldnt see any smoke. Stayed like that for a long time. Not sure what happened there. I injected it with cherry dr pepper per a recipe my wife saw and wanted me to try. When I took it out of the foil, after resting for 1 1/2 hours, there was no juice at all. Did I pull to soon from the cooker? The but was vacuumed sealed in the freezer for a couple months if that makes a difference.
Ok any input would be great.

At what internal temp did you pull the butt off the cooker?

any ideas of what might have happened? I didn't foil because I was looking for bark, should I have?

I know you didn't want to foil but I really believe you have to in the beginning of your bbq life. I am in the same boat, my first was dry and I didn't have the needed amount of time to cook it to perfection.

Flavor wise, I simply injected 75/25 cider vinegar to apple juice with a butt ton of seasoning mixed in and some hot sauce to boot. Totally coated the outside with Oakridge BBQ Comp Pork/Beef and McCormick Pork rub.

My second butt was absofarkinglutely awesome! I know many, many will say I am nucking futs but I believe you must foil for that perfect juicy meat.

As far as smoke taste goes, it looks like your wood didn't burn, there are totally unburned chunks in the basket. Maybe put your smoke wood closer to the top of your basket so it all burns and put your meat in a little before the total thin blue so you get all your smokey goodness. (That may not be good advice due to creosote but maybe I like creosote.....:crazy: )

foil will reduce evaporation as well as capture all those drippings

You should get a nice bark by160 (foiling temp)

there is a good thread on the heat stall and how it is evaporation that keeps the temp of the meat from rising.

If I may offer up a suggestion, you may want to try what I do for added moisture. I always cook my butts unwrapped for only about six hours. I figure after six hours in the smoke, they won't absorb anymore. After six hours, I put them in a disposable roasting pan for the rest of the cook. When they're ready, I drain all the juices in the roasting pan into a fat separator. After pulling it, I pour back all the juice into the pan, and put the fat in a jar to use as grease.

Back