• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cleaning out a UDS?

kevine

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know, I know...I'll have to re-season. The only reason I ask is it's been at least a few months since I've used my UDS. (been using my mini-UDS) I know there's a decent coating of grease and some drippings in there. It's been in my garage, out of the elements.

Before I use it again, other than hitting the grates with my weed burner, should I either clean it out, or remove the temp gauges temporarily, and hit the inside with the weed burner too? There's no weird odor or smell, just old smoke, but was curious.

And I accept all forms of verbal punishment for not using it for so long...been busy purchasing/restoring my new '84 Toyota Landcruiser!!! Been waiting a long time to buy an older 4x4.

If there's no mold, or odd smells coming out of it, no reason to clean it. I only clean mine if I spill something inside. Even then its really no more than turning it on its side, and hosing out the spill. I did pressure wash mine, using hot water, after my neighbor cooked salmon. It had a horrible smell, and I'll never again let seafood touch my UDS.

Matt

If there's no mold, load it and lite it.

Have fun with the 4x4. If I remember right, those were cool looking buggys.

To "clean" mine, and this is with all my pits, I just light a load of charcoal in them and let the temps run wide open. Let it go for an hour or two and it will burn any bit of "old" out of it.

I agree no reason to clean it if it ain't got mold, but if you want just lay her on her side and hose her out... wait- are we still talking smokers here?:wink:

Thanks for the votes of confidence. Gives me a good reason to run a load of charcoal on high temp in it...

A bit off topic,

I'm pretty sure I cleaned mine well out before winter. Stored it on my deck with a pretty solid cover. We got alot of snow this year, and am worried about moisture.

If there is mold, what should one do? Can I just wipe what i can with some shop towels, load up the basket with charcoal, and let er rip with all vents open?

If there's mold, I'll clean it out with a pressure washer, hit it good with a weed burner and run a hot load of coals in it. I would not mess with mold

another Land Cruiser guy...nice. SORRY for the hijack up front but could not resist...LOL

here are pics of my 84 Land Cruiser....original paint and interior...new suspension, tires, window tint...and some other things but mostly stock. Bought by my Aunt in Colorado...sold to my father then sold to me few years ago.

and my 08FJC I sold to get the LX470....pic was on Engineer Pass in Colorado I think.

my daily driver is a 2000 LX470 :)

and picture of a recent cook...to keep it on track :) Spare Ribs and wings...both dusted with Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy rub....spritzed with mix of apple cider vinegar and Makers Mark.

Attachments

• CRW_5105.jpg
    CRW_5105.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 115356166.E6eA8BXb.CRW_4852.jpg
    115356166.E6eA8BXb.CRW_4852.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Uwharrie  005.JPG
    Uwharrie 005.JPG
    401.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG0227.jpg
    IMAG0227.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG0229.jpg
    IMAG0229.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 68
another Land Cruiser guy...nice. SORRY for the hijack up front but could not resist...LOL

here are pics of my 84 Land Cruiser....original paint and interior...new suspension, tires, window tint...and some other things but mostly stock. Bought by my Aunt in Colorado...sold to my father then sold to me few years ago.

and my 08FJC I sold to get the LX470....pic was on Engineer Pass in Colorado I think.

my daily driver is a 2000 LX470 :)

and picture of a recent cook...to keep it on track :) Spare Ribs and wings...both dusted with Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy rub....spritzed with mix of apple cider vinegar and Makers Mark.

I like the blue one best.

Back