What is the shortest amount of time for an 11 lb brisket?

CtTradArcher

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Having a family reunion tomorrow from 12:00 - 5:00. 30 people coming to my house. Everyone is bringing something, so there will be lots of food.

My contribution is to smoke an 11 lb brisket on my offset. I am planning on hot and fast at around 300 degrees, wrapping in paper at 160-ish. I would like to have it in the cooler resting between 12:00 and 1:00.

What time do I have to get it on the smoker? I am thinking I will need an hour to get the smoker up to temp and running steady...

Thanks!

I would figure at least 8 or 9 hours to be on the safe side. Last one I cooked on my UDS at 300 took about 10 hours total to probe tender. Foiled at 185 reading in the thickest part of the flat. Total weight of brisket was 12 1/2 pounds pre cook. Good luck!

Blessings,
Omar

I did a 12lb brisket in 5hrs 15mins temp range was 300-330, no wrapping was completely nekkid.

He just asked the shortest time ..........never said it'd be any good LOL

The thing is that all briskets are not created equal. Some will cook faster than others depending on their makeup and cell structure. Figure for the longer time and you wont be caught with a brisket that is not ready. They are ready when they are ready, and not a minute earlier.

Blessings,
Omar

Cooking fast like that also is helped by a longer rest to let the muscle relax. Just saying...

Well it should be a shorter cook after you remove 5 lbs of lard. :becky:

8 hrs or less
BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat cap down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only if it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit and allow it to rest on you counter for two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>
This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

I did a 12lb brisket in 5hrs 15mins temp range was 300-330, no wrapping was completely nekkid.
I did one half that size in 6 hours in my mini-WSM, also unwrapped and same temperature range. Possible variation in temperature measurement or brisket?

Since you need it off at a certain time, start the cook at least an hour EARLIER than you think. It can always rest longer, but the more time you have to cook, if needed, the better.

Back