What to cook with orange and pecan wood?

SmokinFatties

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Drove to Cabelas in Charleston WV today just cause I've never been. I picked up a couple bags of orange and pecan chunks cause I've never seen them around home. What meats would they go best with?

Chicken rubbed with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin or Shakin' the Tree and Orange wood for smoke.

I picked up a bag of pecan wood recently. It went really well with the fatty, beef short ribs and brisket I did. Wasn't too fond of it on chicken though, and I haven't tried it on pork yet.

I would buy the whole turkey clean and trim it up rub it down with your favorite rub throw it over a 250-275 degree fire with some of that nice pecan wood and a little of the orange and let her go till she done nice moist and that wood will flavor it nicely

When god made BBQ wood, he made pecan! A little pecan goes a lot way, use it sparingly, especially on chicken. IMO pecan is the best smoking wood, far superior to hickory. It's all preference. If you ever got ahold of some pecan heart wood, you would never use anything else, it's very red in color and oh man does it make nice BBQ. Good luck on future bbqs!
BBD2E7CB-0D28-465F-A4EF-D912AC4CD7A2-189-0000001AF94085EB.jpg

Pecan and oak are favorites for pork here in Louisiana. We have lots of orange trees, but don't smoke much with them. Orange is the proper wood for making Spanish Paella though. I made a Monkfish and Mussel paella on my Weber last summer that was the bomb!

David

I use a lot of pecan, and like it for pork mostly. I've never used orange, but would think it ought to go well and would try it with pork, poultry, and seafood.

Orange tree is da bomb! I like it when I do pork, and like pecan - a little goes a long way. I know folks who will use it in their fireplace after a big tree dies – the wood is hard, and dense. It adds a nice flavor, more like an oak than anything else…

Trees are unfortunately dying due to a bacteria called "greening", or from a small weevil that digs through the roots. Out here on Kennedy Space Center there are acres and acres of groves that are untended - it costs more to maintain and harvest the fruit than it was worth. All the trees are just about dead - or reverting back to the wild orange root stock (think sour orange juice for Cuban pork roast).

I keep a bucket of orange chunks to throw in the UDS, with some oak…..

RMR

Thanks y'all! All great suggestions I'm gonna have to try soon. Its sad I'm so excited about using new woods to cook with. 

I really enjoy Pecan with beef. It is used in a part of North Texas where I learned a little about que'n from some good ol' boy locals during some of my travels. I have recently used it with Chuckies and meatloaf.

Back