34th Q: Heavenly Lemon Peppered Butcher Twined Pork Shoulder Roast H&F [w/ pr0n]

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
It has been a slow 'Q'ing start into the new year, it's just too cold and inhospitable outside. But what would a Brethren do without pork, one just can stay away for that long...

So here we are with a nice pork shoulder roast of ~ 9.70 lbs, which my wife prepped with lemon pepper and butcher twine.

Yeah, it's cold and snowing

01_chimney_zps652aea0f.jpg

In need of a little heat

02_minion_zpse8e5ec81.jpg

First instinct is to just stay inside and let it be

03_overview_zps587e9aa2.jpg

But the PORK! And two variations of our 'Essence of Q' sauce without ketchup, one normal, one low carb.

04_pork_and_sauces_zps0de4d2ce.jpg

It took 3H40 @ ~ 350°F to reach IT 165°F

05_pork_and_sauces_3h40_zpse1f10edc.jpg

Foiled in apple juice till IT 203°F, resting in the cooler, and unfoiling for dinner

06_pork_unfoiled_zps2e548520.jpg

Recrisped @ max. grill in the oven (it looks just perfect, but honestly it could have been a little crispier)

07_pork_recrisped_zps1220b937.jpg

08_pork_closeup_zps43f9c3b2.jpg

09_pork_closeup_zps72fcfb45.jpg

10_pork_closeup_zps2b959793.jpg

11_pork_closeup_zpsf547349d.jpg

Heavily reduced sauce w/o ketchup and a good touch of smokiness

12_essence_of_q_zps3de38247.jpg

And the low carb version for the wife

13_essence_low_carb_zpsf948bef7.jpg

Greek Yogurt based Coleslaw without Mayonnaise

14_coleslaw_zps96659366.jpg

And more pork

15_pulled_zps3bf21bf1.jpg

The intended end product: Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Emperor Bun

16_pulled_pork_sandwiches_zpsc6aa61a4.jpg

That was an insanely freaking fantastic meal, the smell, the flavor profile, and lemon pepper, this can really get to you! In your mouth, baby! :mrgreen:

Q: Why do you tie the butt if it is only going to end up as PP anyway?

(not trying to be a wiseacre here either...just wondering)

Q: Why do you tie the butt if it is only going to end up as PP anyway?
It's not a butt, but an Austrian Style Pork Shoulder Roast without Bone without Speck. Without tying it looks like a nice piece of meat from one side, but like a meat explosion from the other side. So without twining it will fall apart when put onto the grate, and that resulted in the meat drying out quickly, as previous cooks without twining have shown. It's a nasty trade-off, either maximized surface for bark but in danger of drying out, or a compact piece of meat with less bark but super juicy. Wife decided for the latter...

It's not a butt, but an Austrian Style Pork Shoulder Roast without Bone without Speck. Without tying it looks like a nice piece of meat from one side, but like a meat explosion from the other side. So without twining it will fall apart when put onto the grate, and that resulted in the meat drying out quickly, as previous cooks without twining have shown. It's a nasty trade-off, either maximized surface for bark but in danger of drying out, or a compact piece of meat with less bark but super juicy. Wife decided for the latter...

Thanks for the info!

I just recently stepped into a new role at work where I am purchasing raw material for our finished goods production (beef, pork and poultry) and it amazes me how much I have learned in the past 6 months or so. Even beyond some of the cuts the variations from one ethnic group to the next on the prep of the same type of cut can be staggering (and extremely tasty).

Yum.
Thank you for explaining that cut of meat. Twine makes alot of sense! I am still learning how cuts of meat differ by location.

What's it like driving in those hills with all that snow?
No fun at all, especially since our car doesn't have a 4WD. It was another snowy night, I could make it downhill today in the morning, but driving home I barely made it to the last curve, then I had to put on the snow chains. Never had that much snow in the past few years. It really is time for spring to come.

So guess what, the use of the Emperor Bun for the PP sandwiches is always only an emergency solution, what the PP sandwiches are really all about, is the self-made pita bread, which I had yesterday for dinner:

17_pita_zpse807a24a.jpg

18_pita_zpsff4629bc.jpg

Believe me, there are worlds between them, and only the self-made pita bread is really worthy of that fine PP! :grin:

Back