• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New at BBQ

PoppaBaersBBQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I just started a new BBQ business on weekends. I'm doing catering and vending. The only issue we seem to have is how much food do I need for a crowd. I have someone that just wants three meats (no sides) for 100 people. They want pulled pork, chicken and pit beef. I would appreciate if some others would give me their opinion of how much of each meat I would make for 100 people. Also, is there a general rule of how much finished meat I should use per 100 people?

Thanks,
Poppa Baer

Hi Poppa!

I moved your question out of the techie section and into our section for catering and cooking for the masses.

Each section of the forum has a description that you can use to figure out where to post. If you are still not sure just PM one of the moderators!

Most people figure 1/4 lb finished meat per person, assuming there are also sides available, and you’re not feeding an offensive line. Also plan on 50% yield due to fat rendering and moisture loss.

So for 100 people, plan on 50 lbs raw. Mix and match as desired, 25 lbs pork, 13 lbs chicken, 13 lbs beef, for example.

Thanks for the info. So I should calculate the amount of meat i'm using on the raw. I was having problems figuring out how many pieces I need for 13 lbs. But I guess if I just buy 13 lbs of chicken that will give me the amount of pieces. Do you charge per person for 3 meats or charge each individual meat. If you charge each individual meat, how do you charge for chicken? Per piece or per pound?

Thanks for your help,

Poppa Baer

(Its really Momma Baer, but sign everything Poppa)LOL

Last edited:
Back