Basic Brisket Tutorial (pron heavy)

wow! thanks so much for taking the time to do this. I thought i had a handle on briskets but learned several things from your tutorial. definetely bookmarking this one!

Thanks for taking the time to do this - really great thread!

bigabyte, has my vote for Bretheren member of the year, he is helping out all of us with out tring to sell a product ,video or class..he is what being a BBQ BRETHREN is all about..I really mean that!!! thanks!!!! anyone thinking of doing a brisket will reap the rewards of his hard work!! AGAIN, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I appreciate your time and energy that went in to this post. It is roadmap material!

bigabyte, has my vote for Bretheren member of the year, he is helping out all of us with out tring to sell a product ,video or class..he is what being a BBQ BRETHREN is all about..I really mean that!!! thanks!!!! anyone thinking of doing a brisket will reap the rewards of his hard work!! AGAIN, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto!!:eusa_clap

Excellent post Chris! I too wish that I had read this years ago,
would have made things much easier.
I question the fat side down thing, makes no sense to me
but as you said, not everyone agrees.
Nice job, thanks.

Weiser

Ditto II!!!!!!
Thanks Chris!

Excellent post Chris! I too wish that I had read this years ago,
would have made things much easier.
I question the fat side down thing, makes no sense to me
but as you said, not everyone agrees.
Nice job, thanks.

Weiser

I questioned fat side down also :frown:,,,,until I tried it :shock: and :wink: it is better:eusa_clap,,live and learn:!::icon_bigsmil

Chris,

Fantastic post!
And you did it without talking down to folks.
Well done!

The only thing I would add is:
I have found that when the brisket is properly done, you can take a gloved hand and seperate the point from the flat without using a knife.
It is so predicable that I can tell the finish texture from just that test. If I have to use a knife, they come out "under-done" :oops:

This stops any problems with cutting flat or point accidently and mixing them up. Each portion is clearly defined and YUMMY!

Great Job!

TIM

No chit.....great information and visuals. Since I rest the flat for 2 or 3 hours, while the point is finishing out on the pit, I generally use the back side of a knife when separating the point. This keeps the moisture loss to a minimum.

This kind of post is the reason that this site is the best Q site in the world... Fantastic post, that took alot of thought and effort that folks can use and learn from. Thank you, much.

Good job bro, if that was anywhere close to where I am, I be all over it like a duck on a June bug.

Outstanding fellow Kansan. I'd like to buy you a brew sometime for all the great work!

This is what I'm talking about when I welcome a new member in Cattle Call: "....enjoy what you learn and share what you know." Chris has exemplified the Brethren Spirit to the nth degree. Thank you Chris. This just may be the best Brisket post this site has ever had. Need to make a sticky out of this one and 5 stars.

This is what I'm talking about when I welcome a new member in Cattle Call: "....enjoy what you learn and share what you know." Chris has exemplified the Brethren Spirit to the nth degree. Thank you Chris. This just may be the best Brisket post this site has ever had. Need to make a sticky out of this one and 5 stars.
I second that. Thank you for taking the time to put that together. Q'ing has really taken off at my office, I have built five UDS's for co-workers who have no or very little experience, and am currently building three more. I typed up a basic instructions on temps, Minion etc. With your permission I'm going to copy this and include it along with giving you full recogition as the author.

I second that. Thank you for taking the time to put that together. Q'ing has really taken off at my office, I have built five UDS's for co-workers who have no or very little experience, and am currently building three more. I typed up a basic instructions on temps, Minion etc. With your permission I'm going to copy this and include it along with giving you full recogition as the author.
Go right ahead and use it. Hope it helps.

Back