Somali charcoal - Banned in the USA!

pc132

Knows what a fatty is.
Anybody seen this article about Somali charcoal?

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2022499785_somalicharcoalxml.html

Apparently it's praised for its slow burn and sweet aroma, but banned in a lot of places because it funds Somali bad guys. Crazy! Not that I'd ever want to support Somali bad guys, but has anybody here ever tried this stuff and compared it to the more patriotic stuff we brethren like to use?

I don't see what the big attraction is for Somali charcoal. Acacia wood is very popular cooking fuel throughout Africa, especially southern Africa. They will make charcoal out of even a whisp of a acacia to the point of vast deforestation around the more populated areas. Scenes like this are very common.

I've had many a meal cooked over acacia wood or mopane and it does have a distinctive smell and it burns for quite a long time. I'm guessing that the closest wood we have here in the states would be mesquite.

Plenty of the good stuff right here. Dang, we're just getting self sufficient on energies, let's vow to stick together on this one... Please? I'd be happy to head up a fund raising community awareness group on this! Lol

it is also (illeagle) sick bird,,, to export or in port charcoal from Jamacia, customs have shut it down some years ago, some people sell it on line but in very small amounts, get allspice berries put them in foil and smash em and put em on hot coals as you cook,

We have acacia here, also manzanita, not that I want a bunch of you guys deforesting California, but, we have several very hard dense woods in the U.S. that would work great for charcoal. Somalia is a human and environmental disaster, we should ban everything coming out of there.

We have acacia here, also manzanita, not that I want a bunch of you guys deforesting California, but, we have several very hard dense woods in the U.S. that would work great for charcoal. Somalia is a human and environmental disaster, we should ban everything coming out of there.

Ft Ord and Ft Hunter Liggett taught me all i need to know about Manzanita....
1983 to 1987..:-o

Back