The elusive Smokey Joe Platinum aka Jumbo Joe...

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
NOT!!!

A while back, I posted on the tvwb forum, fishing for an SJP. I had been longing for one (yes, I know I could have modded an 18.5" kettle to look just the same, but that's like kissing your sister... just not the same as the real thing). Had a near miss or two, when the occasional (rare) SJP came up on CL, but nothing worked out. A relative stranger from the tvwb forum responded, offering an SJP, but the price +shipping was more than I was willing to spend.

Fast forward a few months, and this person writes to me again, out of the blue, asking if I was still interested in an SJP. Is a frog's a$$ watertight? Of course I was interested!!! He offered it for the price he paid for it ($25) from a CL deal. Shipping was estimated at $25 using UPS.

The pics looked like the SJP was in great condition. My new friend packaged everything up, but when he took it in, UPS said shipping would be $36, because of the size. Being a gentleman, my mysterious benefactor kept to the orginal shipping charge he quoted me, even though I said I was fine with paying the extra $$ (could have happened to anyone) and offered to do so.

Well, my SJP arrived this week! It was meticulously packaged, and was in great shape. The previous owner probably overtightened the leg screws and so the procelain finish was a bit chipped around the leg bolt holes. I sprayed some high paint around the areas to try and prevent rusting or further chipping. Might need a new cooking grate, so I will try to get one from Weber if they still stock the cooking grate (it is a little bigger than the standard 18.5" cooking grate). I am considering adding a vent mod, but I don't know yet if I want add a One Touch cleaner, or just a vent damper on the bottom... or if I just want to leave it alone. Weber has free shipping this month (w00t!) so I should figure out what I need and get the order in.

I will be cooking on it this weekend, for sure. I am quite excited about this baby, maybe more than I should be. But ITS MINE NOW!!!:mrgreen:

So, Stu... if you happen to be reading this - THANK YOU, again! I think I will have a lot of fun with my SJP. :whoo:

Attachments

• 2012-06-04 16.27.39.jpg
    2012-06-04 16.27.39.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 513
  • 2012-06-04 16.30.08.jpg
    2012-06-04 16.30.08.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 497
  • 2012-06-04 16.32.12.jpg
    2012-06-04 16.32.12.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 496
  • 2012-06-04 16.39.08.jpg
    2012-06-04 16.39.08.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 495
  • 2012-06-08 16.16.30.jpg
    2012-06-08 16.16.30.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 500
  • 2012-06-08 16.15.16.jpg
    2012-06-08 16.15.16.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 499
  • 2012-06-08 16.14.18.jpg
    2012-06-08 16.14.18.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 496
  • 2012-06-04 18.09.42.jpg
    2012-06-04 18.09.42.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 494
  • Thanks
Reactions: G$
Awesome!! I have one on the way it will be here monday... Sadly we are going on vacation so it wont have it:cry:

Now caliking and bluegrass smoke are on my list of brethren I hate. :mmph:

CD :becky:

I found one on CL in Charlotte,NC at a closeout store.... The guy said he has been shipping them all over the country... I got the display model so hopefully everything makes it here ok.

I wonder what size stock pot fits in one of those...

I found one on CL in Charlotte,NC at a closeout store.... The guy said he has been shipping them all over the country... I got the display model so hopefully everything makes it here ok.

Can you PM me contact information -- assuming he has more?

CD

Wow, nice find. I'd like to have one like that...... only a little bit smaller.

That would be a Smokey Joe Gold. Exactly the same, but 14 inches instead of 18.5 inches.

CD

I remember someone posted it in the 'for sale' section of the forum. I thought about buying one of them. In the picture it looked like he had 3 or 4. I think they were $75 a piece, I don't know what shipping would run?

Glad you were able to find one. I bought mine about 7 years ago. I still treat it like a baby but it sure does cook great. It is a great size for a portable grill.

I remember someone posted it in the 'for sale' section of the forum. I thought about buying one of them. In the picture it looked like he had 3 or 4. I think they were $75 a piece, I don't know what shipping would run?

With UPS, it was $36 - gets charged by weight and by size. Sent from WI to TX.

I wonder what size stock pot fits in one of those...

A big farkin one... about the size of a 30 gallon drum, methinks. Made my midi UDS from one, and the 18.5" lid and grates fit like they were made for it.

Attachments

• 2012-03-29 18.35.28.jpg
    2012-03-29 18.35.28.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 401
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Cool! I found this for $2 at a garage sale!

IMG_4462-1.jpg

New handle, wire bale, dampers and a grate and its as good as a new "N" Jumbo Joe SJP!

:sad::sad::sad:
Man Ive Been Looking as well ,And here In Phx the absolute Non BBq capitol of The desert...No Good ....Man I Just Hope I dont End Up Having to Kiss My Sisiter !! And Do a 18.5 kettle Mod .

I have a SJP (its in pretty rough shape) that I use all the time. I bought a Pro Q Stacker(cost me about $60 on EBay with shipping) not too long ago that I place upside down and turn it into a not so mini WSM.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339255993.147414.jpg
I tried to paint it red last summer with high temp red paint. Bad decision because most of it burnt right off

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339256116.567862.jpg
Cooked a yardbird on it the other day. Under the grate you can see the Brinkman ash pan I converter into a water pan, I just left the original grate and set the pan right on it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339256254.912399.jpg

I'm planning to sand it down and reprint with some very high temp black paint. I also recently ordered some WSM vents that I'm going to install on the bottom bowl for better air flow because the existing vents are a little too high above the coals.

:clap2:Meat: that is a sweet mod!! Really awesome!

The red paints don't seem to work so great. i think i heard that there was a Krylon high heat red which seemed to work, but i could never find it in my neck of the woods. I used a red engine caliper paint on my SS performer restoration, but the paint peeled of the bowl after a few cooks. If you are thinking of black, try Rustoleum High Heat Ultra black which has a semiglossy/glossy finish. It looks really good and hopefully will hold up to the heat.

I might have to look into a ProQ stacker for myself!

Great score!
I only know one guy in Holland that carries one of those and he is in my team...

Wait... let me see if I got this right - Phu, you actually let someone on your team with something that wasn't a WGA or a drum??? I don't know if I can believe this... :p

I’ve had my Jumbo Joe Platinum for over twenty years. Starting to rust a bit and looking for a replacement. It’s lasted so long because there are no cleanout holes in the bottom which allows me to line it with foil. This makes cleanup a breeze. In my opinion this is the best charcoal travel grill ever made.

Back