Brisket on pellet smoker

chrisr

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Ok I have been using an offset smoker for a long time and wanted to make it easy so I bought me a pellet grill. All the meats I have smoked on the pellet smoker has come out great except brisket. When it finished it taste like beef jerky or something funky. I have tried different rubs such as Oak Ridge. Black ops BBQ rub and something as simple as salt and pepper but it still taste funny. Last time I even wrapped it after just a couple of hours and still no luck. Also tried different wood pellets and different flavors but no change. Any suggestions?

What temp are you cooking at? Brand of cooker? I add a water bowl in my pooper whilst smoking cuts of beef.

What brand of pellets are you using?

Trager on the west coast used alder as a base wood it may or may not actually have pure flavor wood it may be flavored oil.
I would recommend BBQ's delight.

Temps are at 250 to 275 and it is Char griller pellet grill I got from lowes. The last brand of pellets I tried was B&B pellets from Academy.

Check for hotspots. My pooper runs hot at the opposite end of the firebox.

It may be something as simple as going higher heat. The higher the heat the cleaner/subtle the smoke. 325 and wrap at the stall oughta at least clear up the odd taste. But, I'm not sure about what you think of the smoke level...cause I ain't you.:becky:

Back