Bánh mì, again? yes, again....

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
banh mi was again on tap at the house this past sunday.... everything exccept the sausage was from scratch....

the mayo was....

two egg yolks
juice of one lime
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbs salt
1 tbs rice vinegar
a few drops of red boat fish sauce
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup olive oil

cucumber
leftover pulled pork
conecuh suasage
baguette (from the vietnamese bakery)
julienned carrots and daikon, in vinegar overnight

went to three stores looking for cilantro, and all were out....

94f536b0.jpg

03dbfbc8.jpg

3341a785.jpg

fcc5750f.jpg

9a604aa0.jpg

9ffc3186.jpg

9f57fd17.jpg

421e1329.jpg

b9278ebf.jpg

Thanks for reminding me that I've yet to find good Vietnamese food since leaving NC!:sad:

I can find quality Thai, Chinese, Japanese, but I'm shooting blanks finding quality Vietnamese food that I could get there.

Move to Memphis...great markets here.:mrgreen:

It's another hobby, I just don't have time to perfect!:mrgreen: I know what I like, but don't have the time to figure out what it is I like to be able to do it at home. I like the simplicity in most asian cooking, but it's the subtle things that make it a home run or just tolerable in my LIMITED experience.

My wife can cook General Tsao chicken with the best, and I do a passable fried rice. Beyond that, it's takeout or dine in and I'm saving a fortune:becky:

Thanks for reminding me that I've yet to find good Vietnamese food since leaving NC!:sad:

I can find quality Thai, Chinese, Japanese, but I'm shooting blanks finding quality Vietnamese food that I could get there.

we have good vietnameese food down here, but that's about it. a couple decent, but pricy japanese places.

memphis slays the coast when it comes to asian food.

we do have a very nice asian supermarket, but i'm just a toddler when it comes to the food and wouldn't know what to do with most of it.....

MMM I want one...
Interesting timing... I had my first vietnamese yesterday. Got an order of Pho Dac Biet. But did not order bánh mì as I was eating alone. I think I made the wrong choice... liked everything that went in the soup but DO not care for the seasoning of the broth.. star anise cardamom cinnamon something did not sit right on my tongue...

MMM I want one...
Interesting timing... I had my first vietnamese yesterday. Got an order of Pho Dac Biet. But did not order bánh mì as I was eating alone. I think I made the wrong choice... liked everything that went in the soup but DO not care for the seasoning of the broth.. star anise cardamom cinnamon something did not sit right on my tongue...

i understand where you are coming from on the broth. while i love it, my mom thinks it tastes like flowers smell and doesn't really like it.

love these. made them again this weekend. this time i made lemongrass pork instead of buying sausage. i also make my own vietnamese mayonnaise and shred and 'pickle' my own diakon and carrots (15-20 miuntes in white vinegar). the pulled pork is from a previous cook as i always have some frozen for quick meals.

i forgot to get my bread ahead of time, so i used a different type of bread, but it still worked. i did pick up a loaf of french bread to make another for dinner tonight!

Back