Gateway Drum Smoker Question

JackBBQ

Got Wood.
Reaction score
After a lot of deliberation, I've decided to buy a Gateway Drum Smoker. I just can't decide between 30 gallon or 55 gallon.

If the 55 gallon is pretty fuel-efficient, it's the obvious choice. Is it fuel-efficient?

Many of my cooks are on the small side, but I have some large cooks as well, and I like to lay 14-lb briskets flat on the grate.

Maybe the correct answer is "both".

I have a PBC along with all of my other cookers. It meets all of my barrel cooking needs but.. would LOVE to have a 55 gallon Gateway. Do it.

The majority of the time I am not cooking for a crowd and I still use my 55 gallon Hunsaker over the 30 gallon BHC I have. I'd definitely vote for 55 gallon.

You can always do small cooks on a big drum. With the 30 gallon there may come a time you wish you bought the bigger Gateway. 55 gallon all day long.

I have 4 Gateway 55's that I use when I compete and also for home cooks. They are very efficient, I can run 8 hours on a basket of charcoal, roughly 8-10 pounds.

I have a friend who has a 35 as well as a 55 and it seems that the 35 is more of a novelty item. Don't get me wrong it cooks fine from what I have seen and appears to hold temp well but I just can't figure out what I would use it for and with just two of us in the house I often cook single pork butt's and I never feel bad about firing up the 55 or feel like I am wasting resources.

The only reason I have four is I use each one for a comp category and each one has always had the same meats smoked in it. OK, I admit I am a little ocd!!

I also vote for the 55 gallon drum as a first purchase, later a 30 gallon might be fun to have, or you could get a 18" WSM or make a Mini-WSM with the tamale pot mod.

If you are worried about charcoal consumption, you can always burn lump, because you can refresh the amount and re-light it for your next cook, or you could make a mini-basket for your drum.

1bcKNAq.jpg

Go 55 for sure. Fuel consumption isn't going to be that much different. I honestly can even tell a difference in fuel consumption between summer and winter. I'm sure it's there, but it's not a big difference..

Well, it's a unanimous vote for the 55 gallon, and honestly that's what I was hoping for.

55 it is. Ordering now...

I would probably only buy the 30 gallon, because it fits on my cargo rack without hanging off so I can travel easier. I have a homemade 55, and I love it because of the space. The bigger one would be the way to go, and I would say you wouldn't have a real noticeable difference in fuel use.

Probably too late, but they used to offer the 85. Me and one of my cooking buddies on our competition team have built several 55 and a couple of 85 drums. Honestly don't think there is a noticeable difference in fuel consumption for the added capacity. Gateway used to offer the 85 drums. I would also check out the Hunsaker ,they offer 85 gallon drums as well.

Robert

55 gallon.. you might like these smokers. It is what I use. Ironman barrels.. You can configure them in several different ways, plus colors etc...You can add side doors for adding fuel if needed..Same price ish as Gateways.

Attachments

• ironman smoker.jpg
    ironman smoker.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 96
Back