Newb Smokin...watch out!

G

geekinsyde

New to the smoking scene...love this site! Still sooo much to read and learn! Well so currently have a Wally world Brinkman box style smoker....and successfully smoked/cooked my first 2 racks of ribs! Just threw together a basic rub and cooked it and it looked like it turned out well and tasted delicious! So onto the next question....just picked up 2 food grade barrels...one I just burned for 2 days on and off to get the liner burned out? Got some 3m scotchpads to clean it out once I empty the ashes....so my next q is...I've been reading but there's sooo much to read out there.....
Ash entry/exit? yes or no? I"m going towards no thinking less about of holes in the UDS to control temps....as it is it seems always windy where I live....
Standard measurement directions? What's your suggestions?
I'm looking at 2 racks and a charcoal basket with ash catcher as well...also came with no tops on the barrels...but my Weber cover fits PERFECTLY!! I have sooo many more Qs...but I'll start there!! Thanks for opening the door to a newb smoker!!! WOOT WOOT!!!

First timer results.....

tumblr_mve47c2nU51qz5q3yo1_1280.jpg

Thanks everyone! I'll keep plugging away at the UDS build now too!

Them ribs tell me that you'll achieve your goal. They look good and with practice they'll become great! Could be there now, but I didn't get a bite...

Very nice and it's not a bad thing being hooked on cookers, except the scale might
start to not like you.

Looking at answering your question, but need info. Is this a UDS, or double-barrel smoker? I think you mentioned UDS, but in the initial post you mentioned two barrels. I build double barrel smokers, and on MINE, I do have an ash hole (love how that sounds...LOL) I simply put a square hole in bottom of the bottom barrel, with a slide to close it off. Easy to rake ash to that hole when cleaning out.

Back