newbie with newbie question

sbshaveice

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi folks. Love the site. So we're shave ice people. We love shave ice and are pretty good at it -- we set Matsumoto's as the gold standard and do our best to emulate them. We want to branch out into a more complete Hawaiian menu. Shave Ice is so weather dependent in our area (CA), Sun dips behind clouds and sales die.

So, we thought we'd add Kahlua Pig sandies first, and if that works, add another thing. Realizing it's blasphemy here, but Kalua Pork is typically done in a croc pot.So if we prepared the pork in a big croc pot, could we use said croc pot as a dual function chafing pot? and serve out of it?I'd rather ask here first than at the HD and invite their scorn.

Generally, since we don't have a commissary, the HD will want us to prepare everything onsite -- which presents some interesting dilemmas because of the length or time required to cook Kahlua pork, anyone done Kahlua Pork 100% onsite (oh it's ancillary pull pork)

Thanks ahead for any advice offered up here.

That's a gray area where I live. HD wants it cook on site (we also didn't have a commissary) so we registered as a stick stand were the HD comes out and inspects on location. After explain to the HD that it takes anywhere from 8-10 to cook pork butts and the problems we would have doing it on site we were allowed to start in in one location and transport it to the event for inspection. It also could not have been prepared in or personal kitchens not 1part. So we set up or stand/cooking area at one place then relocated and finished cooking at the other close to the event time. Hope this helps

Interesting. I actually expect the HD to come up with a similar solution as they seem to come up with novel solutions out here. Question: did they give you a maximum time or maximum time limit for transit between sites?

No. We just had to let them know the times of the event. Made sure we where there early enough to set up again and get food back to temp. Then they will show up unannounced for inspection. At the end of it all they asked if they could take some for their lunch, how can you say no.

No. We just had to let them know the times of the event. Made sure we where there early enough to set up again and get food back to temp. Then they will show up unannounced for inspection. At the end of it all they asked if they could take some for their lunch, how can you say no.

Honestly, did they pay for it? A federal, state, county or municipal employee shouldn't be doing that. It is very unethical. I don't care who they are.

Honestly, did they pay for it? A federal, state, county or municipal employee shouldn't be doing that. It is very unethical. I don't care who they are.

Yeah I get your point. Creates a bad image for the HD, makes it look like a bribe. But of course, cops and firemen are always getting free food.

Like this, "Sure, for $12 a serving." :wink:

Maybe I should have pointed out that it was a charity event for a friend and no money was being made, or food being sold. Reason why i still registered with the hd is 1 you still have to, 2 there was a ladies aux doing the sides that i knew they didnt register for the event. If people were to get sick i could show that i was in compliance and it prob. Wasnt my food. Here in wny there is really no good BBQ joints (alot of poser) so if someone wants to try some authentic BBQ from a pit I'll share. Without going into the long version I could see why it would look unethical. I'm also an employee in the same county and met him/her before and no slack was given to me for doing this event. Had to be in compliancejust like anyone else would have.

Samples are different than a whole meal. I took it as they wanted a whole meal. Even being a benefit, that is a question you should never have to answer.

Back