Rate my Brisket Box

Yes at best 7 for me, mostly because it looks more like pastrami then BBQ.
Yeah, I don't know whats up with the smoke ring being so pronounced...... the only thing different I did with this brisket than any others, is that I injected it.??? And for smoke, I only used a couple little chunks of wood? Crazy..... Oh well, it all tasted good.

I hope the mods punish that thead hijacker :becky:

I do think judges will mark you based on the overall impressions they have of the box. They might not specifically mark down for the garnish, but if it conveys an overall impression of a sloppy box, expect to get dinged for it.

(I have also gotten 2 comment cards saying my meat was too cold, and KCBS says you aren't supposed to judge on that...so I certainly wouldn't rely on the expectation that all six judges will know and strictly follow the rules.)

I think judges will downgrade if the garnish detracts from the meat. I don't think teams would spend so much time perfecting "putting greens" if they didn't think it was important.

Been a while since I judged, but if a judge submits a comment card about something that shouldn't be considered (like the temp of the meat) shouldn't that be brought to the attention of the table captain/rep?

As others have said, there are some spots, crumbs, whatever on a couple slices that should have been removed with tweezers, and if you're going to put burnt ends in the box, you do need at least 5.

Was TQ used on that brisket? Never seen a natural smoke ring that large

I think everyone here forgets how little time a judge really gets to look at an entry. I have forgot but I think it is about 4 or 5 sec, maybe as much as 7 or 8 average. That is not much time to pick out anything that is not way obvious. Anyone showing there stuff and asking for comments here should keep that in mind. Guess I would give it a 7 from the pic but in real time could be different.

Having said that, the smoke ring does looked forced but if its a new judge that could be a wow factor for them but you can't know that. I would like to have seen the slices more evenly cut meaning removing the small end so they look more uniform. Yes fill the bottom with extra lettuce to raise the meat up.

I have a pet notion that, putting more than one cut of meat such as burnt ends and slices or pulled meat can go against you as much as help. What if, say the slices are great but the burnt ends or pulled is not, you have probably lowered the score, of course this should only apply to taste and texture and not appearance. So take your pick and just do your best with what you can and don't confuse the judge with 3 or 4 different cuts to make a score with, that second one may be your worst. Do make sure you have at least 6, 7 or 8 slices is better of what ever you put in it.

Back