• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Trussed Chickens and taters pr0n

Hitman0321

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
While I was at the store yesterday getting stuff to make roast beef, I saw that they had chickens on sale for 2 for $5...I only wish I had bought more. Anyway I cooked em up on the Weber 22.5 tonight with a couple of taters.

Last night I made up a brine which has become my go to poultry brine, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup kosher salt, a handful of peppercorns, some rosemary, thyme, and sage boiled for 15 minutes and cooled with ice and cold water.

Out of their spa treatment and drying in the fridge for about 8 hours

On the Weber. I made a compound butter with rosemary, thyme, and sage:

Basting at 1 hour. Also, after reading the thread about onions on the fire decided to try it out...amazing.

Ready to come of at 1:45 when the drumstick almost wiggled off:

Resting:

Plated (and yes I broke out the fine china):

Sometimes I forget how farking awesome the Weber is at holding temps, held at 355 for the entire cook, even after opening to baste and put the onions on. Best chicken I have done and the first time I have had bite through skin. I would have gotten a pic but I am gluttonous. Thanks for looking!

Hitman

Looks very tasty. Good job.

How was the onions?

By the time the birds were done the onions were black and inedible. That said, the smell was amazing, I had neighbors that I haven't even met come over and ask what the delicious smell was.

A little update, I wanted to cook both chickens to use the breasts for lunch meat for the week. I froze 2 breasts and sliced the remaining two on my new slicer. Much better than $10.00 per pound at the store.

Nice cook...How much if any does the onion flavor the meat...light/medium/heavy...Subjective question I know...simply curious

yummie

very nice looking results. Too bad i am late for dinner. the chickens have great color and the potatoe looks awesome!!!

Yummie!!!

That is some mighty fine looking chicken. Would mind sharing more details about the herb butter and baste you used on the chickens. Also, at what temperature did you cook at. I would really like to try this on my Performer. Thanks for sharing.

Back