Rednecked Ugly Drum Smoker

SUPERSIZE MOD!!!! Thanks for the pics. I'm sure you will keep us posted on how she runs. Whats on the Easter menu??

Paul
I'm cooking Smoked Ham, ABTs, and a Fatty on the DrumPit. Inside on the Stovetop will be Carmelized Carrots, Asparagus Soap, and Frenchcut Green Beans.

Last edited:
Great mod!!!
I like the idea of using the drum clamp. I need one of the bolt on types. All I get are drums with the lever clamp and you cannot use it on an extention or for the donor drum lids that I like. So where is the extra grate going? My guess would be in the lower to middle of the extention and then you can still take the lid off the extension to check things out. Good stuff. Love to see it in action!!

So where is the extra grate going? My guess would be in the lower to middle of the extention and then you can still take the lid off the extension to check things out.
Dingdingding.....Correct!!! I went with the lower placement on the extension and I have plenty of Head Room for Future Tall Objects to Smoke....

Got the DrumPit all Fired up this morning for the Easter Digs...
Easter_DrumStart_1.jpg
Temp just kept rising so I attached the Lid Clamp...Check out the C-Clamp..
Easter_DrumClamp_2.jpg
Temp kept on going up, Shut Down all the Vents,..What the Fark???!!!! Then I knew I had Massive Air Leaks..
Temporary Solution is...Aluminum Foil Gasket to the Rescue!!!!
Took some strips of foil and used my putty knife to wedge it in tight around the Drum Extension Clamp...
Easter_DrumFoil_3.jpg
I have some Food Grade Silicone that I'll apply next weekend to seal the deal.
I added my Spare SpiceWine Gauge to the DrumLid...
Easter_DrumLidGauge_4.jpg
Got my Ham and a Fatty Smoking....It's Cavernous in there!!! That's a Ten Pound Ham and it looks small!!! Getting ready to throw on some Easter Turds soon...
Easter_DrumHamnFatty_5.jpg

Great job on the mods N8man. got love the drummies, they be cooking good in the hood. Why such a small ham N8man LOL:lol::icon_bigsmil

As I wait for the Storms to die down to do some Smoking I thought I'd attend to some upgrades I've had in mind:
FireAshPan1.jpg
First off an Ash Pan for the FireBasket. I acquired an old ECB WaterPan and
fit it to my FireBasket. I drilled 12 holes around the pan under the lip to allow maximum air flow to reach the coals:
FireAshPan2.jpg
Addition of the AshPan to the FireBasket, in effect, raises the FireGrate 2.5" closer to the Cooking Grates. But I don't think it will matter much because of this:
DiscHarrowHeat3.jpg
I'm trying this 19" Disc Harrow Blade out to see if there is an improvement or not to Heat Distribution. From the picture it's hard to see that the blade is bowl shaped. I have it placed 6" above the FireBasket.
I have a 10.5 pound Brisket I'm hoping to start around 4 a.m. before I go to Work so the DrumPit will be unattended whilst I'm gone....Wish Me Luck...

I'm trying this 19" Disc Harrow Blade out to see if there is an improvement or not to Heat Distribution. From the picture it's hard to see that the blade is bowl shaped. I have it placed 6" above the FireBasket.
I have a 10.5 pound Brisket I'm hoping to start around 4 a.m. before I go to Work so the DrumPit will be unattended whilst I'm gone....Wish Me Luck...

I'm really interested in the heat distribution. Keep us informed.

The results of this weekends experiment in Heat Distribution was, in my opinion, mixed at best. In using this big ol' hunk of steel:
attachment.php

to help move heat around in the chamber is both a success and a failure.
Temps were indeed more even throughout the cooking grates from end to end. Temp Spikes were almost nonexistant when I would remove the lid to tend the Foodstuffs. Temps would return almost instantly once the lid was closed. On the downside, the DrumPit took an hour to reach cooking temp. In past Cooking Sessions I normally only use the Vertical Air Intake, and it is choked from Half to a Quarter open to maintain 225*-250* for 12 plus hours, this time I ran with the Vertical Pipe and both Horizontal nipples wide open at times to maintain 230*-250*. I also burnt up 10 pounds of Charcoal and 5 Fist sized Chunks of Hickory to complete Ash!! In 9 hours!! I have never used more than 3/4 of a FireBasket full, ever. Fortunately my Brisket had reached 195* by this time, and after a rest, sliced up fine and was good.

The results of this weekends experiment in Heat Distribution was, in my opinion, mixed at best. In using this big ol' hunk of steel:
attachment.php

to help move heat around in the chamber is both a success and a failure.
Temps were indeed more even throughout the cooking grates from end to end. Temp Spikes were almost nonexistant when I would remove the lid to tend the Foodstuffs. Temps would return almost instantly once the lid was closed. On the downside, the DrumPit took an hour to reach cooking temp. In past Cooking Sessions I normally only use the Vertical Air Intake, and it is choked from Half to a Quarter open to maintain 225*-250* for 12 plus hours, this time I ran with the Vertical Pipe and both Horizontal nipples wide open at times to maintain 230*-250*. I also burnt up 10 pounds of Charcoal and 5 Fist sized Chunks of Hickory to complete Ash!! In 9 hours!! I have never used more than 3/4 of a FireBasket full, ever. Fortunately my Brisket had reached 195* by this time, and after a rest, sliced up fine and was good.

Thanks for the update bro....sorry to hear it didn't work, thats way to much fuel for the benefits!
Keep trying guys. :wink::biggrin:

And Now! Four Years in the making! From the Producers who brought you "Cats got Pointy Things!", The Director of "My Truck's Iced Up and Zombies are Eatin' On It!"

We now bring you...

Lazarus: The UDS!

Try putting the disc blade on the very bottom of your barrel then set your charcoal basket on top of it! I have cooked with just the disc blade in the bottom & it worked good for me! With the basket you will get a longer cook time! IMO.

Ain't no neck redder than, N8's! Always enjoyed reading his posts. Sure wish I could have met him and smoked some q with him and enjoyed life as he did. Lots of his graphic work still out on the forum. Rock on, Brother N8!

Thin, blue smoke sent your way!

Bob

Back