How to cut St Louis Style Spares (Tutorial)

Great tutorial. I just trimmed 2 racks with your advice. I have one question though. Any tips for separating the silver skin from the membrane that holds the ribs together? On the first slab today, I pulled the membrane and the silver skin away from the 2 small, end bones.

Great tutorial. Here is my question do you have to trim them? I have done two racks so far and I just trim off the fat and throw the whole thing on. I have one more rack in the Freezer that I try this with but just wondering if just cooking the whole slab is OK. Comes out a bit messy but tasty

Of course it OK to cook the whole slab! I trim mine because some folks don't like having to eat around the cartilage. I either eat the rib tips or use the meat for other things.

Great tutorial. I just trimmed 2 racks with your advice. I have one question though. Any tips for separating the silver skin from the membrane that holds the ribs together? On the first slab today, I pulled the membrane and the silver skin away from the 2 small, end bones.

I take a butter or kitchen knife (not sharp) and work it under the membrane near one end of the rack and twist it to separate the membrane enough to slip a finger in there and then use my finger to get that end loose. Then I use a paper towel to improve my grip and pull it off.

Great tutorial. Here is my question do you have to trim them? I have done two racks so far and I just trim off the fat and throw the whole thing on. I have one more rack in the Freezer that I try this with but just wondering if just cooking the whole slab is OK. Comes out a bit messy but tasty

I sometimes cook the whole rack for a change of pace. In fact, one of my favorite BBQ restaurants, KC's Rib Shack in Manchester, NH cooks them that way. Much more meat per bone, but you have to be willing to eat around the cartilage.

Like Ron said ^^^^^^^^^^ and when you slide the knife in, be careful and try not to dig it into the bone.

Because I use a substantial amount of salt in my rib rub, I don't season before vacuum packing. I suspect it would at least change the texture of the meat, if not make it tougher.

It might act like a dry 'brine' though, and pull the moisture out of the cells, then through osmosis and diffusion pull the moisture back in along with the other flavors. Maybe it's worth a try...

Only part way through this great thread, Bob, and came across this.
Since it hasn't been addressed so far and it is something I can pay back with:
Your instinct is correct. Don't put salt on it as fat is hydroscopic and the salt will cause the meat to toughen and dry out.
The fattier the meat, the more devastating the effect.
I have been curving my cut and making one end narrower so I have benefited greatly by your tutorial.Thank you .
Bucc.

Thanks so much! This was great! After studying this, I think I'd have the nerve to try it on my own. Kudos!

I sometimes cook the whole rack for a change of pace. In fact, one of my favorite BBQ restaurants, KC's Rib Shack in Manchester, NH cooks them that way. Much more meat per bone, but you have to be willing to eat around the cartilage.
Most of the time I just don't eat around the cartilage, but actually eat THROUGH it:becky: I'm wierd like that. I also eat a lot of the smaller bones in chicken too. I can dang near clean up a breast or a thigh to the point you couldn't recognize it from its remains on my plate no matter how good of a CSI you may be. LOL... Also eat the cartilage from the ends of the leg bones and then eat the tips off them as well.

I grew up poor, and heck I'm still poor. I eat errything, don't nothing but the squeal or squawk go to waste and if I could figure out how to make a gravy from them, they wouldn't either.:becky:

Yes Yes ,
Thank you very much for this info ... I had asked about ribs and another forum member sent me this link and it answered all,, !!1 Thank you for taking the time to educate us !1

GF just bought me some Spare ribs from Sam's. Glad I found this post or would have been lost, never trimmed or cooked ribs before :(

pwa

This may be old hat for many of the veterans out there, but for those who are interested, here is a step by step tutorial on how to take a big old rack of spare ribs and turn them into a St Louis style rack with rib tips and a special bonus too!

Two racks in a cryovac weighing a little over 10 pounds.

StLouisRibs00001.jpg

Open them up and put the first rack on the cutting board.

StLouisRibs00002.jpg

StLouisRibs00003.jpg

Flip it over and take hold of the flap.

StLouisRibs00004.jpg

Hold your knife parallel to the cutting board and slice off the flap as close to the bones as possible. Make sure you save the flap and all your trimmings!

StLouisRibs00005.jpg

StLouisRibs00006.jpg

And this is how they should look with the flap removed.

StLouisRibs00007.jpg

Now carefully slide a butter knife between the bone and the membrane.

StLouisRibs00008.jpg

Lift with the back of the knife to separate the membrane.

StLouisRibs00009.jpg

Using a paper towel for grip, grab the membrane and carefully start to pull it off.

StLouisRibs00010.jpg

With a little practice, it will come off in one piece.

StLouisRibs00011.jpg

Now locate the longest bone on the rack and insert the tip of your knife.

StLouisRibs00012.jpg

Cut down the length of the rack to get a nice even slab.

StLouisRibs00013.jpg

StLouisRibs00014.jpg

Repeat the process with the other rack, remove the breast bones and trim all the loose ends from the rib tips and this is what you should end up with.

StLouisRibs00015.jpg

So, what will we do with all those trimmings?

StLouisRibs00016.jpg

Maybe sausage, maybe meatloaf, maybe meatballs...that will be a post for another day!

StLouisRibs00017.jpg

StLouisRibs00018.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the pics!

All Spare ribs should be shaped like a "P"

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJt4XKbuAAI"]Cut Slather and Rub PD - YouTube[/ame]

Or like ribs.
chefrsquossnack_zps0f7682dd.jpg

yes, Dadforus is correct. all ribs are created by God in the shape of a P... the surrounding meat must be removed to return it to its God given shape.

Those that do not see this as evident are obvious terrorist who hate our system of Free Enterprise and the fact our country was created as a Christian Nation.

Then call me a terrorist as I don't trim my spares at all... :mrgreen:

LOL

I stopped doing it too (even the P cut) when I got to this neck of the woods. People were more impressed with the size of the ribs and the extra meat. I might cut off the joins.

This is not okay of course for competition.

Back