bradford pear tree wood??

capri man

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
i got a bradford pear tree that seems to be dieing. guess i gotta cut it down. just wonder if anyone had tried it for smoking??

I have some stored up, haven't used it myself but since it's a fruitwood it should be good.
Interested to see what others have to say.

it good for smoking.. I used a load last year.

REAL HARD!! A bitch to split.

If you do a search for Bradford Pear you will find at least a six threads which end up saying yes it is good to smoke with.

I haven't tried it myself yet, but will when I get a chance.

I only use fruitwood for smoking (except of course for smoked salmon, for which I use alder). I started with plum, and then added apple, then cherry. All are wonderful. I have a good friend who recently took down a pear tree and has been smoking with pear chunks. He swears by 'em. I'm taking him out a paper shopping bag full of chunks of wild cherry to trade for equivalent volume of pear today.

Some fruitwood can be downright difficult to split. I made a wedge attachment that fits over the business end of my 20 ton press. With an air-over-hydraulic 20 ton jack in the press, it really helps to do those gnarly burly stumps! Still a lot of work, but now at least doable.

seattlepitboss

Bradford Pear trees do not produce fruit, just white blooms (dont know if that makes a difference or not in the smoke sweetness).

They are deciduous trees but its a stretch to say that they are "hard wood," seems like they break and split easily in high winds. I bet their lack of density means they burn very quick.

one good thing is that most of the limbs are small enough that they will not have to be split!!:biggrin:

Back