Party Advice

JayinBoston

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I'm cooking for my 2 year old's birthday party this Saturday and wanted to get the Brethren's opinion on the amount of food to cook. We will have 30-35 people about half of which will be kids aged 2-8. I'm definitely cooking one packer brisket 12-15 lbs. I'll also do 3-4 racks of spares that I'll cut individually and serve as appetizers. I'm also planning at least one pork shoulder, probably about 12 lbs. I'm thinking I might as well cook 2 shoulders since I'll have the smoker fired up and the leftovers freeze well. What say the Brethren? BTW, I'm cooking on a WSM 22 and also have a 22 inch kettle if I need more room.

I'm a fan of the KISS principle. That's a lot of food for a 2 year olds Bday party. Brisket? If the kids will be between 2 and 8, I'm sure they would be just as happy with hot dogs and hamburgers. Maybe chicken and ribs. Brisket and pork shoulder will give you no time to enjoy the party unless you cook it the day before.

My kind of party . . . bones as apps. Nice! Plenty of food. I'd like to see how you load that WSM up with all of it. Good luck and happy bday to your kid!

Chicken fingers, dogs, mac and cheese for the kids, sounds like your will have plenty of food.

Hot dogs hamburgers Mac and cheese and ice cream I scream u scream we all scream for ice cream I'm sure the kids will have fun no matter what you fix I know all kids like hot dogs and hamburgers not sure about BBQ sounds like your a great dad

Thanks for all the replies. My boys (4 & 2) eat BBQ. In fact, my 4 year old begs for pulled pork. We don't really cater to "kids" tastes for our boys (they eat what we eat), so I ain't doing it for other people's kids. Plus, I've found if you get a kid to try a rib, they will gobble them down! Half the reason for doing the party is an excuse for me to get to play with my smoker. There will be plenty of sides and other junk (chips, etc) for apps so no kid will go hungry.

I think I'm going to do two shoulders. It will probably be too much food, but my softball team will destroy the leftovers the following Wednesday. I'll probably end up doing the ribs on the kettle depending on when the big meats finish. I'll try to post pics if I can remember to take them.

just did a party w/ about 40 adults and 20 kids. Only thing I ran out of was hot dogs. Hurt my pride a bit but kids eat those by the fistfull

Back