Questions on first Smoke ever!

desertguy76

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to the forum and this is my first post... I am currently building my UDS and I hope to finish it and test drive it this weekend. I decided to go with a new drum and still have to do my burn off and intakes vents to get it usable. I have been reading about different methods for building the fire etc but was wondering if there is a piece of meat that would be best to use for break-in of me and the smoker. I was thinking trying chicken but wanted to see if anybody had any other recomendations. Thanks

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 123
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 123
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 125
When I seasoned my uds' us bought 3 packs of cheap bacon, built a hot fire and let it go. I'm sure there are different ideas or methods.

You'll love the UDS. I have a comp cooker and I use the UDS more just because once you learn to control the heat you can set it and forget it. The big cooker I have to add a stick every hour. I've cooked a brisket in the uds and didn't open it for 8hrs.

just go wild on anything is it really.

The first time I got my kettle started I tried ribs. Not the traditional 3-2-1 ribs, but going for a 3 hour cook @ 300 degrees, I didnt know better really. And guess what, the where better than I ever ate at any restaurant. Not as good as 3-2-1 ribs, they were a little though on the bones.

What I think is a better training is trying to get a steady temperature for something like 24 hrs. If you can do that you can do practically everything.

If you have time, I would start with a butt; they are very forgiving. This will give you plenty of time to try to lock in a temp.

I always use whole chickens when I am trying a new Grill/Smoker/cooking device, they are cheap and if you mess it up badly you are only out a few bucks, but generally chicken is hard to completely ruin. When i finish my UDS thats the first thing I am cooking. Though I may throw a fatty or two on just for the seasoning effect.

I say chicken because of the price or some fatties (just chub of breakfast sausage). A Boston butt will give you a long cook and practice on heat control at decent price too. Just remember to go easy on the smoke until you get handle on things and figure the amount of smoke flavor you like. Good luck wih your first cook, you will have lots of fun.

When seasoning a cooker for the first time, I heard to use crisco on the inside??? Is this correct? Any suggestions on seasoning a 550 cooker???

550 Gallon cooker?! use PAM, Canola Oil, peanut oil, Crisco, Bacon Grease..... as long as its some type of oil or grease its all good!

With our 3 UDS- we 1st coated with peanut oil then built a small fire to heat the drum empty to get a sense of how to hold temp (1hr ish) . The we filled up the basket with lump and wood and loaded them up with butts so +2 on the butts

just to clear it up... I take some type of food oil and rub it all over the inside of the cooking chamber, then burn a fire in it to season it? Are fatties, Sausage???

Back