Trimming Spares to St. Louis

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Can anyone offer some friendly advice on trimming spares to st. louis ribs? I've been trying to find a consistent way of trimming them so they look the same each time. I guess I have two main questions,

1. How do you determine where to make the cut along length of the rib to separate the brisket bone from the st. louis rib?

2. After trimming the brisket bone off the spare rib, on the thick end of the st. louis rib, on the meat side, there is a flap of meat that sits on a membrane type seam. Do you remove this or leave it on? I'm not referring to the flap on the bone side of the rib.

I've probably cut up 5 - 3 packs from Sams recently and I'm not very happy with my consistancy. Sometimes I have splitered bones, variable widths, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You have to find the top of the bone. Cut along there; if there's a weird hook or pointed top, cut some more, until it's oval.

I don't worry about the end of the rack for competition, as I'm not turning those in. At home, I might trim it.

Also look for racks with bones as straight up and down as you can find instead of slanted.

I usually cut the brisket bone off and trim the rest to the width of the turn in box (approx 9"). I don't worry about leaving some cartilage on there, I would rather them not look too short across the box.

I usually cut the brisket bone off and trim the rest to the width of the turn in box (approx 9"). I don't worry about leaving some cartilage on there, I would rather them not look too short across the box.

For IBCA/LSBS events?

I find the longest bone then trim in a straight line creating a rectangle. Then I trim off the loose end pieces and viola - you got St. Louis style spares

I find the longest bone then trim in a straight line creating a rectangle. Then I trim off the loose end pieces and viola - you got St. Louis style spares

Yep.

I also pull that membrane and remove the skirt meat (chef's samples)

That's what I do. I've done the trim along all the bones, but you lose too many ribs that are too short for turn in. Most spares I turn in are about 4-5 inches long.

I killed my top 10 finishing streak last month, cause I tried a different brand and they didn't get done after 7.5 hours.

Back