321 method for ribs?

xjcrazy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Do ya'll think the 321 method for smoking ribs is the best? And do I use the rib racks or lay them flat on the grates?

3-2-1 is a basic guideline. Works good if you're cooking at about 240-260 degrees. If your cooker is smoking hotter or cooler then you might find it wise to modify the times a bit. Some folks foil then toss in the oven about 300 for the second stage, that cuts about an hour off the process. (3-1-1). JMHO

You can try Gail's version of the 3-0-1.

3 hrs in the pot and an hour on the grill! :twisted:

Attachments

• bbq-ribs-1.jpg
    bbq-ribs-1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,058
Yeah, my 3-2-1 for spares is at about 230°. My family likes them fall off the bone too.

I've got untrimmed spares so I guess I'll go with 321, do I use the rib racks or flat on the grates? Thanks guys, I really enjoy these forums.

I've got untrimmed spares so I guess I'll go with 321, do I use the rib racks or flat on the grates? Thanks guys, I really enjoy these forums.

As the Baron of BBQ says, "You ain't going to use the Texas crutch..."

I prefer flat on the grate, especially if glazing with Habenero jelly or such near the end.

I also like them flat, cuz I foil them to finish in the cooler for 1/2 hour or so, unlike nosqualmie, who avoids the "crutch" of aluminum foil.

Try it both ways, or a thrid or fourth way.

Then stick with the method you prefer the end product on.

Best thing about trying other methods is the tasting!!

I prefer flat on the grate, especially if glazing with Habenero jelly or such near the end.

I also like them flat, cuz I foil them to finish in the cooler for 1/2 hour or so, unlike nosqualmie, who avoids the "crutch" of aluminum foil.

I foil in the cooler when they are finished. Just don't foil during cooking. Baron calls it a crutch, sir.

Best thing about trying other methods is the tasting!!
I Agree!

And its SNOqualmie :)

After cooking ribs with the foil method and cooking them without foil, I am now a big fan of this method. I use the 2-1-.5 method, especially when I use my UDS. They are almost fall off the bone but not quite.

Ok I'm a newbie when it comes to "Q", so if you don't mind my ignorance.........

What is the 3-2-1 method?:confused:

I've done them a few different ways but never heard of that technique before.

Ok I'm a newbie when it comes to "Q", so if you don't mind my ignorance.........

What is the 3-2-1 method?:confused:

I've done them a few different ways but never heard of that technique before.

just means the ribs are in the smoker for 3 hours, then 2 hours in a wrap, then 1 hour unwraped to tighten them back up:icon_clown

I personally wrap :icon_cool

Best version I've found is 3-1-2. Gives the meat a chance to firm up a little more after the "crutch".

The last ones I did though I didn't even get the chance. They were done in 3 1/2 hrs :shock::?:

i'm leaning towards the no foil kinda cook cuz i don't like them fall off the bone. i just cover them in a pan to rest and thats it.

Back