View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #52
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSmokin'Chili View Post
You should also get another grate to go over the fire grate, less charcoal with fall into the bottom bowl on the WSM. I just used the small grate off my Smokey Joe. It Helps alot.
Also buy a hinged grate for the top rack, makes it easier to check meat on the bottom rack, you can also easily stick a long probe into any meat on the bottom rack without removing everthing off the top rack during the cooking process.
^^^Those are both good ideas.
Personally I like using a butane or MAPP torch to light my wsm as I only want a small section of coals going for Minion and low temps. I do use a weed burner if planning a hot and fast cook.

As far as temps, you can let a thermometer get you close, but feel is the way to really tell when it's done. Probe should slide in like it's room temp butter, and the bone (on a boston butt) will slide right out. On a picnic, the bone goes all the way through so no so much. If you have a maverick, or some other accurate thermo, just try to get the temp settled in where it wants to be. I usually shut all three vents on the bottom once my temp gets near 200, leaving the top vent wide open, and it settles in where it wants. On a new one, you might settle out closer to 260-270. Once it gets good and gunked up you'll see less smoke leakage and lower temps. BUT, if you find it going out of control hot with all bottom vents closed, you might need to check to see if it's all in "round" Usually if not, it will be the middle part that got bent during shipping. It's usually pretty easy to fix. Just inspect all around the top and bottom seams to ensure the spacing is all pretty even

And while you can get a small bag of RO lump in the coal basket, a large bag (18.7 lb) will fill my 22.5 WSM more than twice
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->