Second guessing myself now! Fark PrOn

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've been wet curing this ham now for a week and I pulled it out and immediately thought...What an A$$ I am. I left the skin on and I probably should have trimmed it off. I am looking for a crispy skin bark. Being that this is the first time I have done a ham and am starting to second guess myself. Has anyone else smoked one of these and left the skin on? I know when I do a whole hog I always leave the skin on and use a method similar to a spatchcock. I split the hog and tie it to a grill and cook it in my Caja China. The crispy skin is great. But maybe not the same with a ham. I am debating whether to trim it off tomorrow morning before I put it in the cooker or to smoke it and then finish it hot to crisp up the skin.

Out of the brine
hamoutofthebrine002_zpse622b2f5.jpg

Top view of skin

hamoutofthebrine003_zps67734053.jpg

What would you do?:doh:

Whew, I am not crazy then. Well yes I am but in a kinda crazy way! Thanks

Real cured ham has the skin on.There,I said it.

country or city cured?

HT, you'll be good to go i'm sure, but did you inject?

either way, smoke it, peel the skin off midwayish, and hit with some glaze to finish.

country or city cured?

HT, you'll be good to go i'm sure, but did you inject?

either way, smoke it, peel the skin off midwayish, and hit with some glaze to finish.
Thanks man, No, I didn't inject. My wife wanted a lo salt flavor similar to a boiled ham. She's Belgian and she loves the Black Forest type hams from Germany.

Ah so......because of the skin. Thanks, slowly thing start to sink in...:wink:

you really should have injected it with a curiing salt, like mortens tender quick, especially around the bone, othewrwise a condition called bone marrow rot will exist..curing is the first step, in na brine solution.(curing time)then soak to rinse in fresh water...then smoking is the second..

Back