• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sams Club - Yep, I'm gonna go there....

bbqbrad

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
OK. Last year, I cooked on a team that competed in Ocala, Fl. We ended somewhere in the middle. A few days later, the team captain called me and told me we were now signed up for Greensboro, NC. I was really shocked that there were slots left. I mean, I thought EVERYONE wanted to be in this contest!

This year, there is a rule that prohibits us from doing this again. And I think that's fine. But I wondered what would happen if....

Yep it seems to be happening. Las Vegas has only 12 teams signed up as of this writing. Tampa has 16, and Ocala has 19. Only 12 out of 25 1st round competitions are filled. The Greensboro one I signed up for announced the teams (when 30 signed up) but has now hidden the names because someone dropped and the comp is at 29.

I really like the idea of this competition. But are there enough teams that are really interested in these? Are there enough teams to fill all of the Sams comps?

Just wondering...

I hear you Brad and was kinda thinking the same thing. Heck you would think the locations with low registered numbers would get cherry picked, and maybe that is what is happening. Some of the bigger teams maybe waiting until the last minute to pick a sure win somewhere.

I know it was fun but me and you cooked alongside Paul kirk in orlando man.gotta keep you straight buddy.

It was GREAT to cook with you BK! But I'm just wondering if the rule will be changed to get 30 in each comp... Heck, Sams has just changed the location of one in Texas AFTER teams signed up. Will they completely refund any team who says they want out because of the change (I doubt any will)? Will anything else be changed?

It was GREAT to cook with you BK! But I'm just wondering if the rule will be changed to get 30 in each comp... Heck, Sams has just changed the location of one in Texas AFTER teams signed up. Will they completely refund any team who says they want out because of the change (I doubt any will)? Will anything else be changed?

From KCBS website rules section

"10. Cancellation Policy: Teams that opt out less than 30 days prior to an event will not be eligible for a refund. If a team withdraws from an event more than 30 days in advance and KCBS is able to fill their spot, a refund of $240 (entry fee less $10 administrative fee) will be issued. If KCBS is not able to fill the spot, a refund will not be issued. "

If they want to back out and KCBS can fill their spot it will cost them 10 bucks. If not they are S.O.L. Like you I think most won't.

OK. Last year, I cooked on a team that competed in Ocala, Fl. We ended somewhere in the middle. A few days later, the team captain called me and told me we were now signed up for Greensboro, NC. I was really shocked that there were slots left. I mean, I thought EVERYONE wanted to be in this contest!

This year, there is a rule that prohibits us from doing this again. And I think that's fine. But I wondered what would happen if....

Yep it seems to be happening. Las Vegas has only 12 teams signed up as of this writing. Tampa has 16, and Ocala has 19. Only 12 out of 25 1st round competitions are filled. The Greensboro one I signed up for announced the teams (when 30 signed up) but has now hidden the names because someone dropped and the comp is at 29.

I really like the idea of this competition. But are there enough teams that are really interested in these? Are there enough teams to fill all of the Sams comps?

Just wondering...

For teams in California I don't think it's about the first round location, San Diego, it's about the 2nd round location, New Mexico! Its a 13-15 hour drive from So. Cal to NM, but for a team from Central or Northern California now its an 18-20 hour drive. Not too mention the price of fuel too!. I know one team from the Santa Barbara area that would have a good shot at the 2nd round, but can't justify the trip to NM if they did make it to the 2nd round, so why even bother signing up for the first round.
Don't know if that applies to Vegas teams or the Florida teams.

For teams in California I don't think it's about the first round location, San Diego, it's about the 2nd round location, New Mexico! Its a 13-15 hour drive from So. Cal to NM, but for a team from Central or Northern California now its an 18-20 hour drive. Not too mention the price of fuel too!. I know one team from the Santa Barbara area that would have a good shot at the 2nd round, but can't justify the trip to NM if they did make it to the 2nd round, so why even bother signing up for the first round.
Don't know if that applies to Vegas teams or the Florida teams.

That makes perfect sense.

I was just talking about Vegas with Ramona and for us it would almost be more of a vacation time issue than the money (not that it wouldn't be an investment for us!)

I think they should combine the Florida contests into one if the numbers don't improve.

I tend to agree with some of the sentiment seen here.... Alot of these, especially as you get closer to the coasts... have to think about the entire series, IF you get through your round, you have to get to the regional, and then you have to be able to plan the trip to Bentonville if you make it past that.

My "local" is a 9 hr drive, but then the regional is only 4 hrs away... and the final is 4ish hours away. It's not like the 10-20+ hour drives that folks have to factor into their decisions coming from the coast.

So yes, while it is a great series, and many people may want to attend - they may hold off on the decision. I would imagine that if there are spots still open as the events get closer to happening, they will fill with folks who feel the prize money at the local event, is enough reason to enter vs. thinkin about how they would address a potential shot in a regional or national level cook.

I tend to agree with some of the sentiment seen here.... Alot of these, especially as you get closer to the coasts... have to think about the entire series, IF you get through your round, you have to get to the regional, and then you have to be able to plan the trip to Bentonville if you make it past that.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I think you actually look to the end of the season, you could have the Royal, Bentonville, and then the Jack in a three week span. I know that our chances are slim but we have had that talk with our team.

My "local" is a 9 hr drive, but then the regional is only 4 hrs away... and the final is 4ish hours away. It's not like the 10-20+ hour drives that folks have to factor into their decisions coming from the coast.

We are actually very lucky that our Local and Regional are both only two hours away, Bentonvile is more like 12 hours. Sometimes you get lucky.

So yes, while it is a great series, and many people may want to attend - they may hold off on the decision. I would imagine that if there are spots still open as the events get closer to happening, they will fill with folks who feel the prize money at the local event, is enough reason to enter vs. thinkin about how they would address a potential shot in a regional or national level cook.

The good news, from what I've read, is that even with the locals filling in the blanks with no intent of moving on, the serious teams that are competing in other locals are going to go to the regional.

I think that anytime you compete for a national championship, you are going to have to travel. I think they could have held the regional contest closer to the geographic center of the region though. That would definately help lessen the burden on many teams.

This isn't a regular contest, its a qualifier for a national championship series and I think that, not the prize pool, is the draw it has over a local contest.

Well, here is another opinion for this year. And this is just my opinion, We opt'ed to support a new contest that was scheduled prior to Sam's club coming out. While there is no assurance that the event will be back another year, events like that are the reason Sam's club is here to start with. Those events grew this sport to a point that MMA could approach Sam's club with this. Numbers is what matters in any business and Sam's could see the numbers presented by MMA. Sam's saw numbers of some sort from last years events to decide to come back another year. Question is how long will they stay around. Your local hometown events are the ones that will still be there, maybe.
I could have cooked Greensboro, and then the regional was in Chesapeake, 45min. away. But I have no intention on going to Bentonville because of the cost and the fact it is the same weekend as Rocky Mount, NC which I support every year. It all comes down to numbers and it is just whose numbers you are looking at when you make a decision.
The Sam's Club series is a good thing for the sport and will raise awareness for the KCBS which will be a good thing in the long run.
I do believe that you will see some belt tightening this year with the price of fuel getting up where it is because it causes everything to go up. We are doing some of it ourselves. I saved a lot of money not going to Lakeland this year that will allow me to do a couple of contest closer to home.

Just my two cents.

Roy

Back