• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Puerco Pibil

Paulmark

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I thought I put a spin on Puerco Pibil(buried pork) as Seen in Once Upon A Time in Mexico. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO8EiScBEjA
http://www.thespicehouse.com/recipes/puerco-pibil-recipe

I followed this basic recipe (substituting achiote paste for annatto seed), with the rest of the ingredients but doubled on the allspice, cumin, cloves, and pepper corns. (Be sure to taste, that’s why I opted to add more seasonings) I also added finely sliced onions before adding the meat to the pan. No Tequila, Jack Daniels instead and some beer.
I marinated the pork chunks over night and smoked it for about four hours at about 250. Then transferred to the pan and followed the recipe.
It’s recommended to serve over rice (white or Spanish), or in corn tortillas with pickled onions (recipe follows), Pico de gallo, and shredded cabbage.

PuercoPibilwithpickledredonionsa-14.jpg

PuercoPibilwithpickledredonionsa-10.jpg

PuercoPibilwithpickledredonionsa-9.jpg

PuercoPibilwithpickledredonionsa-7.jpg

PuercoPibilwithpickledredonionsa-6.jpg

PuercoPibilwithpickledredonionsa-5.jpg

PuercoPibilwithpickledredonionsa-4.jpg

PuercoPibilwithpickledredonionsa-3.jpg

PuercoPibilwithpickledredonionsa-2.jpg

PuercoPibilwithpickledredonionsa-1.jpg

Pickled onion pron
Pickled red onion and jalapenos:
Blanch thinly sliced red onions in boiling water for 15 seconds and drain.
Add thin sliced jalapenos. 1 tbsp salt. 1 tsp. sugar. 1 cup orange juice. ½ cup lime juice.
Stir until dissolved and pour over onions and jalapenos, refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Pickledredonionsandjalapenos1.jpg

Pickledredonionsandjalapenos2.jpg

Pickledredonionsandjalapenos3.jpg

Pickledredonionsandjalapenos4.jpg

Sorry no final plate pron, too much cooking going on for the holidays, had to freeze it, I'll show a finished plate later( tasted very good though):smile:

Paul, I always learn from your posts. Thanks for sharing... it looks fantastic!

Paulmark, that looks good. How much achiote paste do you use?
Thanks JC, I used the 3 1/2 oz pkg. but be sure to add more of the spices as the achiote paste by it self is too bland IMO.:smile:

Oh that looks good.... thanx for sharing
Your welcome Phesant, thank you.:smile:

Paul, I always learn from your posts. Thanks for sharing... it looks fantastic!

Thanks Jeanie, you learning form me sounds wierd:icon_shock1:, as you have given so much.:smile:

Looks okay to me.
Thank you NW.:smile:

I'll post a finished plate sometime this week.

Back