• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken for Family and Friends

Great thread.

My simplest is drumsticks with EVOO, sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and red pepper flakes. On a drummie rack indirect on the gasser.

Yardbird has been a standard on spatchcock on the egg - indirect.

Working my way through the Dizzy Pig sampler (and enjoying it).

Rarely sauce - serve it on the side - might be because we are doing a taste off almost every time. Relatively new to Q so trying lotsa different rubs and sauces.

When I am doing the quick weeknight thing I usually keep it pretty simple...marinade in Lowery's Baja Chipotle and then direct grill. I typically only flip once, and I don't usually baste them during cooking. When I am doing a bigger whole family party type thing, I will typically go ahead and do the comp thighs.

I like to use that for marinating peppers and onions and then grilling them for chicken fajitas. The veggies really soak up the marinade. The breasts themselves just get a light dusting of salt and pepper or a Southwest style rub.

Usually grilled breasts and thighs around our house for the quick dinners. Keep it simple with Yardbird rub.

For the longer cooks brined and smoked spatchcock chicken is the preferred method.
That is exactly our go to here. I posted this thread because I see so many ways to cook yardbird that look good. It can be flavored in so many ways with different spices and techniques that it seems to be a staple for the American family. There ain't notin better than good ol' BBQ chicken!!!!

I love to smoke some boneless chicken breasts and then dice into a nice chicken salad recipe I have.
We usually make the sandwiches out of croissant bread. Yum!

I enjoy smoked chicken and regularly cook them on the beer can holders in the drum. I'll use Johnny's Seasoning, Old Bay or anything left in the bottom of a rub bottle! What we don't eat for dinner gets boned and packaged for quick meals during the week or lunch at work-I love leftovers! Smoked Chicken Caesar salad or Wraps, Enchiladas, Fettucine Alfredo, hell I'm not ashamed to crack open a box of Zatarains Jambalya or Gumbo!

I hate comp chicken! But love thighs cooked on the drum or rotissed with my basket or the Rib-O-Lator, thats when I pull out the Plowboys or Dizzy Pig!

Back