View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #101
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
I didn't mention pellet usage!

I can get about 25lbs of pellets in the hopper (I used Lumberjack MHC), I had the controller set a 255* over night to achieve a grate temp of 225*. As the day came around a warmed up, I could set it back down to about 235*. I lit the pit at 9PM the night before, loaded the big cuts at 10:30, pulled the briskets around 1PM and put the finger foods on and kicked the controller up to 265* and ran it there until 4 PM (the fatties were very stubborn). I used a whole hopper plus about 2 more lbs. So this is not exact, but we will say 27lbs over 19 hours, so about 1.4lbs per hour and some of that was at a higher temp. So the pellet usage is pretty good for a cooker this big.

I've never cooked on a BW, but I would guess it's more efficient though.
Hmmm... So the set temp is not grate temp. That makes sense since the sensor isn't at grate level but I never thought of that. I'm also not used to pit temp changing with the weather since the FEC is insulated. Neither are a big deal, but just part of the learning curve with a new pit.

That about double the usage of my FEC. I go through about 8 lbs at a typical competition. The FEC is on for about 18 hours total.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote