View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Default • Big Xmas Ham Smoke for 2011 **Pr0n0graphic**

Hey everyone! Season's Greetings and a merry Christmas to you all!

So it was that time of year again. I'm always so damn busy cooking for the Christmas and this year was no different. Kicked off the season with about 200 pounds of shoulder and leg hams that I cured and smoke to sell. The process went quite smooth this year so I have to give thanks for that! It was a LOT of work though. Here's how it all went down...

Skip back 2 weeks. I ordered 3 cases of pork... 2 cases of shoulders and a case of legs.

I mixed up about 10 gallons of brine for the whole ordeal.

I deboned all the shoulders and removed the hip bone from the legs and injected the brine and poured more in the container and they all went for a 2 week sleep in the fridge to cure.

Some of the hams were pretty big and I had gotten some orders for smaller ones so I halved 2 of the 20 lbers into 10 lbers.

In the midst of it all a client requested hers early so I had to do a single one a little ahead of time at the last minute (all nighter) but it was ok cuz they were already fully cured by then. So I did it up plain for her to glaze herself later. Was a beautiful 20 lber:

here it is ready to go:

OK... back to the shoulder ham prep, I trussed them all up:

Time for the smoker:

Temp on the money!

A couple hours of lychee smoke later they were ready for the glaze:

**Side note: What you guys know about stick charcoal? I order these from my coal man for my stickburner... (the jamaican public not too used to a heavy smoke so I use some coal as a buffer sometimes!

Hit em with the mustard:

Then the spiced Brown sugar (a few were pepper corned):

Then back on the smoker to finish off:

And when they hit 155˚ I took em all off and rested in foil pans and foiled for delivery:

MAN these were an awesome batch of hams this year! I have been getting calls with rave reviews! I already have orders for next year and will be getting one off orders throughout the year for more so I assume people were more than happy with the results!

Thanks for looking guys!
Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->