Lockhart-3 places in 2 hours

markdtn

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I had a trip to Houston and the middle day I was pretty sure I would have time to go to Lockhart. Sure enough we got done about noon. I headed to Lockhart and arrived about 2:00. I started at Kreuz Market.

I had a slice of Shoulder and a link of regular sausage.

The shoulder was good. The sausage was just OK. It did not have a whole lot of flavor. I came expecting to buy a bunch to take home, but did not buy any here. I should have tried the garlic links, maybe I would have liked them better. None of this was bad, just not my favorite.

Next I went to Blacks. Got a meal with sides so as not to gorge on just meat. I got wet brisket and some ribs.

This was my favorite of the 3 stops. I also got some sauce/rub/pepper sauce to take home

Last place was Smitty's. I got wet brisket and a sausage link. I was pretty full by now, but the sausage was much more flavorful than Kreuz.

Then I had to get back so I headed towards Houston. I stopped at Buc-ee's which was an interesting place. I thought it was a truck stop but it isn't. Bought some pecan brittle and some jerky to take home.

While in Houston I wanted to buy a big brisket which we can't get in Chattanooga. I bought a cooler in Katy at the Igloo factory. It was not a smokin deal, but I did get a drink spout and a cooler handle for my Boy Scout Troop for $5 which would not have even paid shipping if I had ordered it anywhere. I ended up at HEB and got a 16lb brisket and a bunch of sausage. Overall not sure that was worth it-cooler and dry ice and baggage charge and tape and a sharpie was about $70-not to mention the hassle of putting it all together and dealing with an airport and a cooler. I think I could find a bigger brisket locally (someone sent me a PM that they can be had in Dalton) so I will try that in the future. It was an experience and I am glad I did it. The brisket turned out great!

No shots of the brisket, but here is the cooler and my son who was glad to see me home and was ready to cook the next day.

Looks like a great trip! Thanks for the pics! :thumb:

Smart to hit all three. You just never know which one is gonna be the best on any given day.

Thanks for the report. If you get a chance to hit Kruez again, try their pork chop. Simply amazing. I really enjoyed the shoulder as well - I've always been curious how they cooked it - nice, tender smoky stuff! My approach was kinda opposite - I didn't get any sides so as not to interfere with the meat. I'd try a bit of whatever the folks I was with was having, but I stuck to piles of smoky meat.

Thanks for the report. If you get a chance to hit Kruez again, try their pork chop. Simply amazing. I really enjoyed the shoulder as well - I've always been curious how they cooked it - nice, tender smoky stuff! My approach was kinda opposite - I didn't get any sides so as not to interfere with the meat. I'd try a bit of whatever the folks I was with was having, but I stuck to piles of smoky meat.

Not sure I will be back again. There are so many recommended BBQ places in Houston I would like to try if I was back in the area again. If I am back I will try different cuts. Pork Chops are pretty good-fried, grilled/stuffed, or smoked-hard to beat a good chop. It was an adventure.

Back