Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Maybe he is too busy making it rain bbq at his restaurant to post :grin:.

I hope for this more than anything. All these threads is like a good novel and now I feel invested myself.

According to his FB page, still not open. Last update was Dec 28, but said he'd post as soon as they were live...

I am like everyone else here, glued to this saga and really hoping for the best. Hopefully you get that place open soon. We are all pulling for the Prized Pig. Good luck and let us know the latest if you can

Sorry for the lack of updates. I had to take a break from things for a while before I lost my mind.

Thankfully, things are moving in the right direction. Unfortunately, at quite a significant cost. Met with the contractor doing the exhaust work yesterday and finally got the final quote. Farking $5k to get everything installed above and beyond code just to make the damn inspector happy. That was NOT in the budget, and being months behind schedule, it's really squeezed the operating cushion I had set aside.

The only good news is this contractor is incredibly sympathetic and is doing everything he can to get us open. He ordered all the parts on Friday and put me ahead of all his other current projects and said he will have a crew come out as soon as everything is in and knock it out in a day or less, and even talk to the inspector to get him out there the same day to approve it. His current estimation is mid to late next week, but wouldn't you know it, we're having the blizzard of the decade over the next few days, so knowing how things have been going thus far, I'm sure that will delay things. I've already accepted that.

And I think bubba stopped by as I found a pork mafia business card in the door today.

Restaurants are one of those great mysteries to me. They're there, but you rarely get to witness how that happened!

I'm real gald to hear things are moving in the right direction finally.

But real sorry to hear about the extra $$$$$ needed to get you there.

Hang in there Brother things will all work out :thumb:

Thanks for the update, cheering loud for ya to get er opened up and get back, plus more of that hard earned $$$

Keep hanging tough, you will get that place up and running and in a month, you'll forget about this and be slinging food.

If you'll ship (pickles, sauce, etc), I'll order as soon as you're able to...

Not a lot going on. This winter storm was brutal. Some schools plan on being closed for a week straight. We were under a state of emergency until this morning I think. And of course, just as I suspected, this delayed getting the parts in. My guy says he's hoping he gets everything in on Friday and can send his guys out Monday, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I think realistically, if they get here by next Wednesday that would be about right.

Health department called again today and basically said he's on-call at any hour and as soon as we get that crap installed and inspection approved, he will come out and grant the license. That means if we could get inspections done by mid-week, we could open by next weekend.

It's painful, but people do seem to be doing everything they can to help. It never should have happened in the first place, but it is what it is now.

But the more concerning issue right now is the smoker. It still won't ignite. Spent hours on the phone today with both SP and the people who sold/installed the unit troubleshooting, and the unit itself appears to be just fine. Instead, this ridiculously cold weather may be to blame with the propane line. Right now, I'm using the old line that split off from the main which comes into the building and then exits outside again to hook up to the smoker. So because of the cold temps and the piping going from cold, to warm, to cold again could be creating moisture in the gas problems. Or, something could have happened to the regulator while operating in very cold temps.

Either way, I won't know until I try some heating tricks tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, call in a gas guy to take a look at it.

I can't wait to wake up from this nightmare.

man this sucks!

on the bright side, you are shaking down your smoker setup real good before you open and hopefully avoid problems and embarrassment down the line

Yeah, glad the smoker issues are getting resolved before you have a line of customers waiting for food. Best of luck over the next couple of days.

Just read this 55-pager. An astonishing journey! You've shown guts and great poise through all of this. There are times in life where you look to the heavens and say, "Really? Really." Then you have to take a breath and say, "Alright, bring it on. I can handle anything you throw at me." Laugh. Scream. Then join the battle once again, brother!

That kind of cold, who knows what could be wrong with the smoker. Most mechanical equipment will not function normally at those temperatures.

Not a lot going on. This winter storm was brutal. Some schools plan on being closed for a week straight. We were under a state of emergency until this morning I think. And of course, just as I suspected, this delayed getting the parts in. My guy says he's hoping he gets everything in on Friday and can send his guys out Monday, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I think realistically, if they get here by next Wednesday that would be about right.

Health department called again today and basically said he's on-call at any hour and as soon as we get that crap installed and inspection approved, he will come out and grant the license. That means if we could get inspections done by mid-week, we could open by next weekend.

It's painful, but people do seem to be doing everything they can to help. It never should have happened in the first place, but it is what it is now.

But the more concerning issue right now is the smoker. It still won't ignite. Spent hours on the phone today with both SP and the people who sold/installed the unit troubleshooting, and the unit itself appears to be just fine. Instead, this ridiculously cold weather may be to blame with the propane line. Right now, I'm using the old line that split off from the main which comes into the building and then exits outside again to hook up to the smoker. So because of the cold temps and the piping going from cold, to warm, to cold again could be creating moisture in the gas problems. Or, something could have happened to the regulator while operating in very cold temps.

Either way, I won't know until I try some heating tricks tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, call in a gas guy to take a look at it.

I can't wait to wake up from this nightmare.

having snow camped with Scouts n 0 degree weather, propane/butane do not do well at those temps. May I suggest placing plumber's pipe heating tape (like is used around water lines) on the exposed propane lines to raise the temperature several degrees?

Also, have you tried hooking up a smaller 5 - 10 gallon tank that has been kept in a warmer environment directly to the smoker? It might help eliminate variables. If it does not work with the small tank, then the problem with the smoker, if it does ignite, the problem is the delivery system to or from the building.

Just some thoughts. Wish you the best.

Stay Strong, and keep positive, in a year from now this will just be a funny story to tell your customers, and no longer a nightmare.

I agree with Riz58.

You might look at having an electrician or plumber come out and put some heat trace tape on the gas line. I have read some of the thread, not all.....are you using a propane tank to feed the restaurant? The gas in the tank will be fine.

In your climate, the piping from the tank to the building could pose a problem.

Don't let any jackwagon size/install the tape. There are different wattages/etc. It is sold in X watts per foot....and that needs to be specifically designed for your use.

If a contractor gives you the space alien look, you might call around to some Mechanical/Plumbing engineers in the area....Someone should be able to help you.

Back