Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Cornelia Apple Blossom Festival - Cornelia, GA 4/19-4/20

J&B'sBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was searching to see if anyone else has posted on this one yet and did not see anything (sorry if it's there and I didn't see it).

Who is going to be in Cornelia, GA? I know from last years list that there were a few teams on here that competed. We're newbies to the competition scene and this is our first go around so we'd love to meet some of the Brethern! :grin:

I was searching to see if anyone else has posted on this one yet and did not see anything (sorry if it's there and I didn't see it).

Who is going to be in Cornelia, GA? I know from last years list that there were a few teams on here that competed. We're newbies to the competition scene and this is our first go around so we'd love to meet some of the Brethern! :grin:

We'll be there as will a bunch of other brethren team I'm sure :grin:. Last year was fun. We'll have to meet up. What other GA events you doing this year?

We're doing a private part in May, so no competition that month. We're looking into the Hog Jam (GBA) in Blairsville in June and (I know they're not GA, but a short jog) the Festival of Discovery and Foothills County Fair in July.
We're back to work in August so we may keep that low key but are debating between the big festival in Atlanta in September and the one in Winder, then we want to do the big KCBS event in Cumming this fall.

Any thoughts on those or others?

I would certainly look at Euharlee, Athens, Kennesaw, Winder, Marietta (September) and Cleveland, TN in July was highly praised last year for a first year.

We discussed Athens for sure and Winder; my husband wants to do the one in Atlanta the same weekend but I just found out a strong opinion against Atlanta so we may go with Winder :icon_smil. We're doing Backyard for the Cornelia festival and were only looking into events that have Backyard categories (for now) so our list is a little more limited unfortunatly.

We're doing a private part in May, so no competition that month. We're looking into the Hog Jam (GBA) in Blairsville in June and (I know they're not GA, but a short jog) the Festival of Discovery and Foothills County Fair in July.
We're back to work in August so we may keep that low key but are debating between the big festival in Atlanta in September and the one in Winder, then we want to do the big KCBS event in Cumming this fall.

Any thoughts on those or others?

The Festival of Discovery was a lot of fun last year. Between Winder and Atlanta we are doing Winder as they put on a really good event. We did Atlanta last year since they weren't on the same weekend and had a decent time, but they are $125 more on the entry fee and Winder really kicks ass.

The Marietta event is on a Sat/Sun which is nice since folks don't have to take off Friday so consider that one too. Cumming is a big ol ball of fun with all the teams, though it can be a craps shoot with so many.

The Festival of Discovery was a lot of fun last year. Between Winder and Atlanta we are doing Winder as they put on a really good event. We did Atlanta last year since they weren't on the same weekend and had a decent time, but they are $125 more on the entry fee and Winder really kicks ass.

The Marietta event is on a Sat/Sun which is nice since folks don't have to take off Friday so consider that one too. Cumming is a big ol ball of fun with all the teams, though it can be a craps shoot with so many.

I did notice how much more expensive Atlanta is; I guess everything really is more economical in the country :grin:.
We work in the Suwanee/Cumming area so we're really excited about the Cumming event as we'll probably see tons of people attending that we know. We're both middle school teachers at Riverwatch MS in Suwanee.

I did notice how much more expensive Atlanta is; I guess everything really is more economical in the country :grin:.
We work in the Suwanee/Cumming area so we're really excited about the Cumming event as we'll probably see tons of people attending that we know. We're both middle school teachers at Riverwatch MS in Suwanee.

Yeah the city is way more expensive :doh:. I know where that middle school is. I've been in Gwinnett county for a long time now. Tough for teachers to get those Friday's off. There are 2 weekend (Sat/Sun) events this year that I know of in GA. One is in Marietta (Sept 28-29) and one in Dalton (Oct 26-27).

We live in the Buford/Suwanee/Lawrencevill corner of Gwinnett (about 1 mile from the MOG) but my husband has been at this school for 9 years and this is my 2nd.

It is VERY hard to get Friday's off...we only get so many personal days a year. Fortunatly, our "thermal control tech", as we like to call him, is a student at KSU so he can go up on Friday's for us and get meat checked and set up. It just makes selecting comps hard.

We live in the Buford/Suwanee/Lawrencevill corner of Gwinnett (about 1 mile from the MOG) but my husband has been at this school for 9 years and this is my 2nd.

It is VERY hard to get Friday's off...we only get so many personal days a year. Fortunatly, our "thermal control tech", as we like to call him, is a student at KSU so he can go up on Friday's for us and get meat checked and set up. It just makes selecting comps hard.

Funny you put those cities in that order, I just moved from Buford to Suwanee and then to Lawrenceville all in the last 8 months. Won't be moving again for a while though :razz:. See ya in a few weeks.

J&B'sBBQ,

Chattahoochee Que will be there. I am just down the road from you in Dacula and will be happy to help you any way I can.

Allen

Saucy Swine & Bovine

Will be there doing backyard as well, look forward to meeting you. Never realized there were so many teams here in Suwanee.

The Pig Lebowski will be starting off our year in Cornelia. Hopefully the trains won't as loud as I remembered from last year..

And J&B: Welcome to the party! Stop by and say hi!

Watch out for those Pig Lebowski guys, once you go Pig, there's no turning back!!!!!!

Smokin Hoss BBQ from cumming,ga will be there.

I'm not sure if I have ever posted on the Brethren forums before but I have been lurking here for a while. I'll be there. My sister, Heather, is the organizer of the event. Her husband and I have always done her other contest in Cleveland in the fall (Hillbilly Hog Throwdown). We didn't do this contest last year because of other commitments. Our team name is The Meat Sweats. I think that we were next to Jason at the last Cleveland event (I asked about your water heater). Anyway, we look forward to seeing everyone and good luck.

Herb Lamb

Back