The chuckster

Neonnblack

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Trying out a ~3 or so pound chuck tomorrow (with a fatty also!).

I think i have a game plan:

Rub it down with something, unsure right now, but ill see whats in the cupboard.

Throw it on the UDS at 250 till we hit 165, then place it in a foil pan with worschereteehreerr sauce and beer maybe a cup or two?? finish it off at ~325 till its tender.

Any other advise? It seems chucks are hard to get down, especially small ones. And im trying to keep it plain, because ill be saucing it after the pull for sandwiches, So the stout method is out for me.

Purty good plan.Only thing getting sauced here is me.:wink:

If you're going to sauce it, I would go with beef broth in the foil pan, if you have some.

Do a search here for pepper stout chuck. That's what i do for every chucky. Pepper Stout rules. Have a good cook.

Please post pics of the chuckie if your able

I almost did this same thing. 3lb chuck, 275F in the UDS until it hit 170. Used Stubbs Beef Marinade on chuck and used leftover marinade from bowl and a beer in pan. Brought UDS up to 325 and pulled it at 215, turned out great. Using it for gameday chili.

Go Ravens.

20130203_103437_zps907d3812.jpg

i made it naked, just a bit of salt and pepper.
Also, my fatty.
20130203_104428_zps740079c4.jpg

20130203_104646_zps4502b733.jpg

Maple and regular sausage, with a stick of chorizo in the middle, wrapped in bacon!

So, im thinking, i just peeked inside to get a temp on the fatty 145 same as the chuck coincidentally. anyways the chuck is still so moist there is grease and blood still sitting on the top, im thinking of not putting it in the foil and letting it roll on, maybe ill sauce it down in the pit itself. thoughts?

I'd let it roll some more and do a poke test as it climbs. Then you could finish it in a roasting pan with your beer and worchesherererererer sauce mixture in the smoker. Just foil the pan if you keep losing liquid.

I cannot imagine a world without bacon. Looks great, nice color!

So, i have my cheap walmart termo and a little shirt pocket clip one, WM reads 160 when i probed for tenderness and to check moisture the pocket read 170. Lol my Wm one just dropped a degree while typing this. i guess im driving blind the rest of this cook.

6 hours in the smoker with mopping of beerBque sauce
20130203_181704_zps506a7b97.jpg

20130203_184214_zps71254fee.jpg

I ended up winging it and not foiling it at all. Come out pretty damn good, a tiny bit dry but not to much. A tiny bit of sauce cured it.

Back