Fridge uds

timmy7649

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone ever make a uds type cooker out of a fridge. I was thinking about it. So any comments will help

Not sure if it would be a UDS or not but I could see how you could make one into an upright smoker..but I would have to look at a fridge closer to determine the issues one would have.

You will need to find a pretty old fridge not to have to do a lot of work. All of the newer ones are plastic and we all know what heat does to that. You will need to gut it and skin the inside with sheet metal for starters.

It can be done and I have seen it done.

Go research used restaurant equipment dealers and look for something out of stainless they're gonna scrap.

Theres a guy on you tube that made one from a stainless fridge.He pulled out the insulation and put in the high temp stuff then put the inner panels back in.Put the fire box underneath if I remember right.

UDS= Ugly drum smoker.

I think your thinking of a UFS= Ugly fridge smoker.

Good luck. If you continue with the build, keep posting your progress. If you don't do it, please explain what caused you to stop.

I can skeak from experiance, Take the insulation out! I tought I could just do a test run with the foam insulation still in, well it didn't take long before the black smoke was rolling out of the vent. Another problem is getting a good seal if you can take care of these issues the things heat up quickly.

on a household refridgerator,they are mostly plastic & polystyrene,or poly ethyline insulation,,after removing all that stuff theres not much left,,the foam insulation is actually the structure..there are also copper lines running through the insulation,carrying freon,,either r-12 or r-134a..they are called a halo loop,,they carry warm gas to the mullion,to keep it from sweating..Imho,i would consider an alternative cabinet for your biuld,a comercial convection oven would be ideal if you can find a scrapper....

this is a pretty good discusion. i love my uds just not a whole lot of room. that is why i was thinking a fridge with the uds technoligy. ill post pics when i decide what to use.

You mean like this......

Never seen one before... this is a friend of mines cooker...

cffce549.jpg

thats not too bad. i might have to build one. thanks for the pick

The bottom is the fuel source which is a hibachi. He used about a half bag of charcoal on that cook and had that thing plum full the door is tight with lock handle and oven seal on the edges... Ask Sprinter they were within a 100th of a point in that contest but Sprinter took it overall.

well thats very impressive. that will be great i want to start to cook at local fairs in the food court. and that will have a lot more room. might as well make a little cash doing something you love. how does this sound for price pulled pork sammy, small bag of chips ,and can of pop for $5

well thats very impressive. that will be great i want to start to cook at local fairs in the food court. and that will have a lot more room. might as well make a little cash doing something you love. how does this sound for price pulled pork sammy, small bag of chips ,and can of pop for $5

It depends on your location. I would do some price shopping from some of the bbq joints in your area. Seems low to me in STL land and I am sure in NY an CA would be very low.

i all ready have and they are about $9 with out sides. so these should fly like crazy.

Yeah, I built one and had it for years..gone now, tho'. They work great once you get used to them.

Try to get an old metal fridge...if it's old enough, you won't have to remove the
insulation. Should be metal inside and out. Strip out all the wiring, and what ever
plastic there might be...open all the refridgerant lines..do it outside.

Rope or high temperature silicone works for a door gasket..decide what you want for
an exhaust..out the back or through the top..both need to
be treated differently.

These are kind of the classic working man's smoker, the used to be all over the place, but now it's hard to fid the proper refridgerators, largely do to the
safety issues and laws pertaining to the doors.

Which brings me to my last point. Be sure to check the laws in your area regarding
storing these, or any old fridge. Find out if you must remove the door when not
in use, or if you can padlock it.

Yeah, I built one and had it for years..gone now, tho'. They work great once you get used to them.

Try to get an old metal fridge...if it's old enough, you won't have to remove the
insulation. Should be metal inside and out. Strip out all the wiring, and what ever
plastic there might be...open all the refridgerant lines..do it outside.

Rope or high temperature silicone works for a door gasket..decide what you want for
an exhaust..out the back or through the top..both need to
be treated differently.

These are kind of the classic working man's smoker, the used to be all over the place, but now it's hard to fid the proper refridgerators, largely do to the
safety issues and laws pertaining to the doors.

Which brings me to my last point. Be sure to check the laws in your area regarding
storing these, or any old fridge. Find out if you must remove the door when not
in use, or if you can padlock it.

Yes he is correct on the padlock he has two top and bottom. Left side wall door. The good thing is the vent is open top and bottom so air will get in.

i all ready have and they are about $9 with out sides. so these should fly like crazy.

I still think it s is too low. If the others are going for $9.00 without sides. Yours could be at minimum $6.00 sides then $7.00. It seems to me you want to make a little $$ with you hobby is great. When you come home with $25.00 profit and see how much work is involved you may raise your prices.

Back