Mustard Sauce

I keep a couple of bottles of my own on hand. I'm working to clone the King's BBQ Sauce from the Richmond, VA area. It's kind of a cross between a mustard sauce and one of the vinegar mop sauces.

By all means try the Roxy sauce but one word of warning aside from being near addictive do not give into the temptation to take a good close sniff while it's simmering.

Bone Suckin' good

I love the Bone Suckin' sauces......regular, thick, and mustard. Haven't tried the hot one yet.....

They are so good, I rarely bother to make my own any more.

http://bonesuckin.com

I won a bottle of KLBs "That's Good Mustard" BBQ sauce in a Twitter giveaway a year or two ago. I liked it, and so did my 3 year old (at the time) son. I would post the link to their site, but my work computer won't let me.

By all means try the Roxy sauce but one word of warning aside from being near addictive do not give into the temptation to take a good close sniff while it's simmering.

If you tell me not to do it, I'll do it. :doh:

I really like famous Dave's Georgia mustard sauce. It's spicy and reasonably thin.

I grew up on SC Style and mustard was always my favorite. Personal preference is spicy and vinegary. adjust to your taste. My basic canvas for the mustard starts with taking the idea of taking it in size to your need rather than measures.

1/2 onion mince
Jalapeño or Habanero purée with some h2o & evoo
Sauté the onion and purée with another couple tbsp evoo and 2tbsp butter

1 part yellow mustard to 1/2 part cider vinegar for the base. 1/4 part beef stock or so adds some body. As sweet balance, I like to start with 1 part brown sugar.
Add this to sauté and bring to low boil / simmer for 10 minutes. Start with black pepper, salt, turmeric, paprika and cayenne in equal 1tbsp amounts initially. You can always add more but you can't take it back!

After it simmers for 20 minutes, carefully taste. Whatever you add, bring it back to simmer and let it sit for a bit so that it composes. When adding the sweet, I really stick with C&H Pure Cane and Light Brown mixed. They both add different dimensions to the mustard base. Hope this helps-

Ya know what sucks? Just about every one of the suggestions given above are great...so man ya got some tastin' to do!!

As far as my faves go? Blues hog for bought and Roxy's for made. And I second the suggestion to NOT sniff the simmering sauce!:heh::heh:

Ya know what sucks? Just about every one of the suggestions given above are great...so man ya got some tastin' to do!!

As far as my faves go? Blues hog for bought and Roxy's for made. And I second the suggestion to NOT sniff the simmering sauce!:heh::heh:

You're right on, so many to choose from. I'm going to make Roxys sauce, may cut back a tad on the vinegar though, not much of a fan of it.

Thanks for the replies people! :mrgreen:

I make a pretty darn good mustard sauce myself, but if I had to choose a commercial brand; I like sticky fingerz

Back