Little Chief smoker...

mytmouz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Any users of these on here, and if so, how well do they work. I bought one years ago and just ran across it...

Mine just died. I noticed that the chips were burning irregularly and the element just gave out. And unfortunately for me it is a hardwired element they don't even make anymore. There was a Warshalls Sporting Goods label from Seattle with a 6-74 inventory date on the box, I got it at a garage sale in the early 90's, so I'd say I got my $10 worth out of it.

It was my first smoker and go-to for Brined/cured Salmon and cool smoked cheese.

They are everywhere here in the Pacific Northwest and you should be able to go to the Luhr-Jensen website and get an instruction manual/recipe book. They also sell brine mixes, cures, wood chips and sausage kits.

I've got one somebody gave me years ago and I keep forgeting to use it.

I believe somebody here (thirdeye maybe?) had a thread a couple of years ago on cold smoking with it.

We've got a Big Chief and my dad used one a lot of the years i spent at home. They're simple and hardy and really get the job done. I don't know if you'll find a lot of tips here, but they're out there on the web to be found.

Arlin

Just got one leading up to holiday season this year. It's been fun smoking nuts, rice, popcorn, salt. Have tried jerkey a couple times with some measure of success.
My son says "your beef turkey is good dad"

Seems like a fun little toy.

Check out their website, for sure. Think I noticed the same recipies and instructions there.

Smokehouse Products now makes the Chief smokers. Users manual here http://www.smokehouseproducts.com/recipes.cfm
I have had a Little Chief for more than 25 years and just replaced the element. Recently got a Big Chief off Craigslist for additional capacity. Hard to beat for smoked salmon or jerky.

i have one. i've used it several times and i'm happy with it. actually, i wish i would use it more.

Got mine off CL for $15. Smoked some pork belly and it turned out pretty good. The topload thing is kind of a pain but what the heck. You can still get parts online. :thumb:

07_zpse924a3e4.jpg

08_zps73c5d1f8.jpg

There was a Little Chief in the family forever, my Mom would smoke cheese, nuts and jerky mostly. When I graduated from high school and moved into an apartment, I got one as a "going away" present.... hmmmm, there might be a deeper story here??

Anyways that was in 1974, and I still use both a Little Chief and a Big Chief. Mostly for salmon, trout and jerky. I have an insulation mod so I can also do things like hocks and ribs if the weather is warm outside. Otherwise, I treat both Chiefs like they were intended.... as a flavor smoker, or pre-smoker. You can't really cook things on them unless the conditions are perfect.

(PS - I smoked cheese for years in mine with great success, but now use an A-Maze-N smoke tray for my smoke generator)

Back