Chili Fest 2012 - Report - Results - Heavy PRON

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
My team and I cooked 10 gallons of chili this past Sunday at Chili Fest 2012 here in my home town. There were 30 teams competing. The day started with rain but by about 10am it had stopped and didn't return for the rest of the day. The cloudy, slightly brisk temp day was actually perfect for chili and turn out was alot better than I thought it would be.

There was a People's Choice contest and a Panel of Judges to pick 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.

We are just some guys who like to grill and cook BBQ in our backyards doing our first chili cook off going up against several veterans of the chili competition hobby including some who do these cook offs regularly. Even so, we had a lot of people who seemed to camp out around our popup coming back again and again for our chili. It got to the point where I just started giving out full sized servings in bowls and they still came back.

One woman started complaining that she was going to have to spend the whole afternoon with her husband after eating several bowls of our chili. He he he!

We weren't too concerned about winning People's Choice but it would have been nice to win. We were out for 1st place in the contest decided by a panel of judges. Turns out, we won 2nd place. The first place winner has won the last 3 years in a row. After doing this comp we learned a lot and we now know that the contest wasn't just about the chili. After awards lots of people including several competitors told us that we were robbed. But, the winner (Red Hot Chili Peppers) deserved the win. They were the best that day.

While my team turned in two bowls of plain chili, we found out later that some teams were turning in chili along with sour cream, guac, cheese, chips, etc.

Anyway, we tried our best to pull out a win for the Brethren. Next year, Man vs. Pig will take it up a notch to win that thing! I have to get a Brethren flag to fly next time too.

Here are some pics.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
2nd place on your first cook off going against a team experienced in what the local judges like, I'd say that's a huge win and I'd bet dollars against dimes the first place team didn't finish second their first time out - Job Well Done

By the way are you sharing the recipe for version 2.0 or was it 1.2 or was it called "make the rest of us jealous"??????

The fundamentals of the recipe are in this thread - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145458

We came so close this year, I would rather not take a chance of the current version getting out. But, the version in the link it pretty good too. Just a few minor "fit & finish" adjustments in the current version.

Nice job Bo! I cooked up a batch of chili Sunday after seeing your thread and it turned out a little two thin and tomatoey. Looks awesome! You cover your expenses?

Nice job Bo! I cooked up a batch of chili Sunday after seeing your thread and it turned out a little two thin and tomatoey. Looks awesome! You cover your expenses?

I don't think I covered all the expenses. Second place prize was $500.00. So, I still have to do the math on it but it will be close by the time to take into account all the costs involved.

Wow, second place in your first chili cookoff and you turned in corn and bean soup to boot. :mrgreen:

Great going Boshizzle, and a nice bragging rights score.

Why was his better, you seem to feel his was a bit better?

Wow, second place in your first chili cookoff and you turned in corn and bean soup to boot. :mrgreen:

Great going Boshizzle, and a nice bragging rights score.

Why was his better, you seem to feel his was a bit better?

Thanks, buddy!

Well, as a KCBS judge I know how it is to experience the wrath of teams that don't win. Many times, they blame the judges while the winning teams love the judges. So, I am just trying to give proper credit to the judges.

That being said, after tasting the other competitors' chili samples, we still believe we had the best product that day.

But, who are we to dispute the judges? Besides, when we win next year using some of the "tricks of the trade" we picked up at this contest, we have to stand by the judges' decision then too. :mrgreen:

I thought this was a chili contest not a chili and sides. The stuff that was sent with the chili, says to me, "this needs help, add this."

Congrats on the second place.

Back