Question for Judges: Rib Color

Judges, what color ribs do you prefer in a competition box?

• Light Red

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Dark Red

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Light Brown

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Dark Brown

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Judges, what color do you prefer when it comes to ribs. Please leave comments stating why you chose your color. And no riding the fence!!

Anything but black. Charred ribs are a nice treat sometimes but dont do well in comps IMHO.

As a CBJ, the color is not the most important part of judging appearance IMO. The box must look appealing all together. Uniiform size, clean cuts, not over or under sauced and nice arrangement will score high with me. I'm with WineMaster on the color thing. All of the choices in the poll can be very appealing in a turn in box.

PS My vote in the poll is based on conversations with other CBJ's

Assuming that all other things are equal, I think I would prefer a dark reddish brown Mahogany), but I'd have to have the boxes in front of me to really decide.

Agree with everyone above. Voted for dark red; looks I am with the majority.

wallace

Actually a medium red is my personal preference (however - at competitions I judge each box on its own merits without a preference!); therefore, I voted for a "light red" color, I could have just as easily voted for "dark red", but too dark of red usually indicates too heavy sauce which could over-power the flavor of the meat.

I have a favorite color, but really has nothing to do with my judging.
I COOK with the goal of red/dark red/light mahogany, cause I like mine that way.
I JUDGE based on how appetizing the overall appearance (of which color is but one element) make the ribs look.

TIM

Mista, the color is not so important to me - unless there isn't any - then I wonder...
Consistent color is important, though.

I want the color to be equal and not splotchie, have a deep red color and above all judge the box on it merits of good bbq.

A medium to dark red looks more appetizing to me, but of course it's all about taste.

Bigmista, I saw that Ultimate Showdown show the other day, did you guys know who the judges were before the comp. started?

JS-TX we knew a couple of days before.

As others have said, it's not my job as a judge to have a preference.
You cook 'em I judge 'em.
I chose dark red meaning mahogeny as that's how I prefer to cook them.
To me it's very important that the slab be all one hue as splotchy don't cut it for me.
Nice clean, straight cuts with even sized pieces with the bone in the middle and even amounts of meat on both sides get my best score.
Ed

don't have a favorite color, but the color must be uniform in the box.

Nice clean, straight cuts with even sized pieces with the bone in the middle and even amounts of meat on both sides get my best score.
Ed

Do you know how hard it is to find a rack like that?

Mahogany with a nice sheen

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk HD

View this based on color only.

So this:

1738665.jpg

versus this

7827545.jpg

For color only, the top pic gets my vote only because they are more of the same color.

The bottom pic has a lot of different "colors/shades" as it were.

The rib on the right in the bottom pic looks nice.

wallace

Back