Pulled Beef...What cut of beef?

Roguejim

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Besides brisket and clod, what smaller roasts can be used for pulled beef? What internal temp do you shoot for?

chuck here as well!

e376db6b.jpg

i use clayq's pulled beef recipe.....

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPulledBeef.html

+1 on chuckie - my new favorite thing. I don't know what temp - just allow plenty of time for it to cook (1 1/2-2 hours per # depending on temp). It's also good sliced if you can't wait to get to pulling temp (probe tender). I wanna try a clod soon.

I usually do chuck...but I gotta admit my favorite "flavor-wise" is brisket point. The problem is I almost always make burnt ends out of the point and rarely just serve it as pulled beef. I guess I vote for either chuck or brisket.

Love chuckies and have tried arm roast, english roast and just about any big peice of beef thats on sale. All comes out good to me. I like to cook until 160* or so then put it in a foil pan with au jus, choppe green peppers and onions. Cover with foil and then back on until tender. Mmmmmmmmmmm Good!!!

I buy the full chuck roll at 22+ pounds each, then cut it into 4 or 5 chunks, inject, rub & cook like a pork butt. Good eats right there!

Rookie,

Can I ask what you inject and rub with? Do you marinade as well? Also, do u mob with any kind of sauce? I wanna make this when I get home from afghanistan. I have several Marines and family members to feed about 15 total. How much should I make? I have a 18.5 weber smokey mountain

Semper Fi
Mike

Chuck roast for sure....

I did a couple last weekend and my buddies liked them more than brisket. Try taking it to 175 then foil until 200-ish. The 175 allowed more bark to form. At 200-ish start probing it...should get that butter feeling around there or soon after. When it's ready, unfoil it and put back on the heat just to set the bark. You gotta be patient....and you will be rewarded....:becky:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why any one would cook a 7 bone rib roast for pulled beef???:crazy:

Can I ask what you inject and rub with? Do you marinade as well? Also, do u mob with any kind of sauce? How much should I make? Semper Fi Mike

Mike, first of all thank you for your service!

Right now I'm injecting with Kosmo's & unsalted beef broth and rubbing with Plowboys Bovine Bold. I don't mop or mist and I'm cooking on a UDS with a diverter plate which makes it almost like a large WSM :becky:. I'll cook at 225* to 235* with hickory & mesquite chunks until about 160* then foil with some beef broth until about 205* or when the probe just slides in like buttah. Then I'll wrap in towels & place in a warm cooler for an hour or two, pull & enjoy.
If you're feeding these fella's just pulled beef sammies you can figure about one pound raw weight per person but the more dishes there are the less meat per person. I usually get about 65% yield from a chuck roll. YMMV :thumb:.

Yesterday, I tried a hot and fast with Top Sirloin steaks, the were about an inch thick,
started in pan, at 350*, took out and save meat juices, and finished off, took about 4 hrs., really good meaty taste, but more expensive then chuckies...

Back