• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New UDS Smoker Lid design looking for input.

BC2_BBQ

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
The nice folks at Toledo Metal Spinning have decided to go ahead with the design and building of lids that will fit on 55 gal drums. I have a picture below to review. I have also attached the PDF document that they sent to me. they would like your feed back. Please email Jeff Earley at JEarley@toledometalspinning.com. Thank you for your assistance.

Attachments

• UDS Lid.jpg
    UDS Lid.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 667
  • Q200214.pdf
    179.1 KB · Views: 65
The only problem I see is that a 55 gallon drum doesn't have a standard size. With my drum, a weber kettle lid fit like a glove with a little grinding on the outside rim of the drum, but on my friend's UDS, the same lid wouldn't fit at all.

If they make the edge lip wide enough it could fit multiple size drums. +\- 1/4 so 1/2" difference.

The drawing shows 1.5"?

Last edited:
The only problem I see is that a 55 gallon drum doesn't have a standard size. With my drum, a weber kettle lid fit like a glove with a little grinding on the outside rim of the drum, but on my friend's UDS, the same lid wouldn't fit at all.

If they make the edge lol wide enough it could fit multiple size drums. +\- 1/4 so 1/2" difference.

I'm not a UDS guy, but I think the design drawings show a 22.75" ID and a 24.25 "OD, a delta of 1.5 inches or an approximate 0.75" lip all the way around. Might that be enough?

Edit: the detail actually has a drawing taking into account metal thickness showing a 0.61" lip all the way around.

I like the idea if it is not too terribly expensive. I love my flat lids though, sorry. They seal so good and I don't have leakage all over the outside like some of the weber lid UDS's I have seen.

Nice, the dome lid adds a lot of extra space. Can't imagine smoking any quantity of meat with a flat lid.

I hope it works out.

Still a fan of the flat lid because it's made to fit the drum. Secondly i'm a fan of taking a spare flat lid...cutting the middle out and welding the outside ring to a Weber lid. The only challenge is welding a soft metal with the outside ring.

I'm a cone lid fan;

lafamilias.jpg

It's about time someone is making these lids for 55 gallon drums :) I'm excited.

I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it though.

Nice, the dome lid adds a lot of extra space. Can't imagine smoking any quantity of meat with a flat lid.

I guess it depends on what you mean by quantity. For the super bowl I did three 6 lb butts and 2 racks of pork ribs on one rack with a flat lid. Had this been on my new UDS I would have had a second rack that would have been available for more as my new one has dual racks.

Further away the meat is from the fire in a UDS, the better IMO. I run two racks and a diffuser. Excellent Q. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm a life long member of the Flat Lid Society so this is merely an observation.
Drums come in various heights & widths it would seem to me that one would need to know the range of circumference so that the flange area could accommodate a wide range of drums. On my UDS as an example my weber lid from my OTS will slip inside my drum snugly. According to the drawing this design would not make it over the lip on mine and that wold be a deal breaker for me.

Jeff said that they will make this a standard item that they produce. The price will depend on the level of interest. I sent him an email today with the link to the forum page. They are very interested in the BBQ community. I was just one crazy guy who called them and asked if the had a lid that would fit. Now they are designing a lid that will work.

I know that there are different size drums out there. The idea for the size of the lid was based on what the industry standard size is. There was a littlte fudge factor added in, so that a gasket could be added to seal the lid. As for venting the lid, I think you could drill holes so that you could accommodate various vent types.

Bottom line is, if we eork with Jeff I am sure the will build us a lid that meets the requirements of the BBQ community. Thank you for all your intetest! I for one am very excited.

Back