Kalbi on the hibachi...

Ya same here, I havent seen it served any other way(restaurants or in peoples homes). I truly believe its the preferred method because it helps take the chewiness out of the cut, similar to how they slice philly cheese steak(thin and against the grain) to make it less chewy. Also, in the restaurants ive been to they serve it with a pair of scissors so you can cut them down further like this:

images

This way each individual piece has a little bone handle.

With all that said, ill reiterate, Ill take a double order of your ribs to go! They looks delicious!

I was surprised, as the Flanken-style cut shown by Toronto, was the one I grew up with and thought was the traditional way. Then as the Korean population exploded here, and I came to really know a few of Korean nationals, they took me to places that had the butterflied cut. My friend Chris said his mom has always butterflied the short rib. So, then I was left with it must be a regional thing from Korea. I will say, it matters very little, if you start with great meat, marinade it up and cook it over charcoal, It is always going to taste good.

I live in LA with the largest Korean population outside of Korea and I must say I've only seen them cut and served thin. ....But perhaps that's because I've only been to Korean BBQ type places here in Koreatown.

I love H Mart! Great meat cuts.

Me too! I don't get there as often as i like because it is a bit of a hike. When I do go, I go a little nuts buying stuff and the wife accuses me of hogging all the freezer space.

according to what i found, koreans that came to la, ca. found it easier to get the meat cut across the bones. this is also known as la kalbi. as some went back to korea, they brought this with them and its now popular there also. but the sliced short rib is the original way in korea. again, either way is just fine.
as i mentioned before the three bone style is what i was used to in hawaii. when i first moved to my area, no one knew of it and i had to have the butcher cut that for me $$$$$$$$. as more asians moved in then i started to see it more and more.

Back