smoked pork belly

W

ws669

doesnt seem to be too much info on how to smoke a pork belly. I keep seeing it on tv and it looks good. I dont want to cure and make bacon. I was thinking about brinking in some burbon and syrup for a day then rubbing with a good pork rub and smoking it. Does anybody know if this is good? What temps should I cook the meat to? Appreciate any help.

Thanks

So a search on pork belly. You should find lots of posts, most of them related to bacon.

So a search on pork belly. You should find lots of posts, most of them related to bacon.

...or related to me.:twitch:

The couple of times that I've smoked one it smoked on the grill for about 5-6 hours on low smoke temp (about 200-225F).

I have laid skinned belly out flat, meat side up, dusted with rib rub, then rolled and tied with string so that it looks like a jelly roll. Put on smoker and cooked to 180. Family thought it was really tasty.

It is easy, and do not brine it in syrup, that will be a poor decision.

Use a skinned belly, it is just easier. You can brine it, or rub it and let it sit overnight, or marinate it, or just rub it before putting on cooker. All will work fine.

Smoke it at 225F for 3 hours, that will render the fat enough, then you can sear it if you want. It is not needed. If you put a layer of rub with sugar in it, the sugar will caramelize up just fine at 225F.

I prefer to do a new meat without a lot of messing about, get a feel for how the meat responds to smoke and heat first, then do more. That being said, some bourbon in the brine won't hurt.

Here is a non-cured, non-brined pork belly, smoked and seared.
porkbelly-1.jpg

It is easy, and do not brine it in syrup, that will be a poor decision.

Use a skinned belly, it is just easier. You can brine it, or rub it and let it sit overnight, or marinate it, or just rub it before putting on cooker. All will work fine.

Smoke it at 225F for 3 hours, that will render the fat enough, then you can sear it if you want. It is not needed. If you put a layer of rub with sugar in it, the sugar will caramelize up just fine at 225F.

I prefer to do a new meat without a lot of messing about, get a feel for how the meat responds to smoke and heat first, then do more. That being said, some bourbon in the brine won't hurt.

Here is a non-cured, non-brined pork belly, smoked and seared.
porkbelly-1.jpg

damn that looks good. I will be trying that this weekend

Back