Good + Cheap stew recipe

cpw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've got a neighborhood competition coming up this weekend, and one of the categories is stew with a people's choice award.

We cooked Brunswick stew last year which I thought was good, but didn't win anything, so I'm looking to see if someone has a knock-your-socks off recipe for a stew/soup/etc, that won't break the bank. Even a variation on the Brunswick stew would be great.

Thanks!

Chad

With you being from Savannah I was going to suggest Gumbo until I got to the part about not breaking the bank. I still think you could do a chicken and sausage gumbo that would be relatively cheap. That's probably what I would do. IMHO :becky:

With you being from Savannah I was going to suggest Gumbo until I got to the part about not breaking the bank. I still think you could do a chicken and sausage gumbo that would be relatively cheap. That's probably what I would do. IMHO :becky:

Hmmmm.....that's a good idea. I LOVE me some gumbo too. If I leave the shrimp out, it wouldn't be anymore expensive than the stew. If I was smart, I'd even do a smoked chicken gumbo.

I think doing a Gumbo is a great idea, and it is certainly possible to do a smoked chicken gumbo fairly economically. The flavor will stand out much more. I have, of late, been adding the hard (burnt) edges off of a brisket to my stock, adds an amazing richness and depth of color that would reinforce the roux in a gumbo and add another layer of flavor.

Here's mine:

Fairly Simple Beef Stew

I call this "fairly simple" because it falls in between brain-dead,
dump-it-in-the-crockpot easy and ugh-that-is-too-much-work difficult.
You'll see that I use some canned goods to minimize the fuss without
compromising flavor. You have to do some prep, but the result is more
than worth it.

BeefStew_1_4.jpg

Ingredients

3 lbs Beef chuck shoulder roast
3 stalks Celery, sliced to 1/4"
2 lg Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed to 3/4"
3 cups Water
1 can (10.5 oz) Condensed French onion soup
1 can (10.5 oz) Condensed beef consomme
1 can (10.5 oz) Condensed tomato soup
8 oz Baby carrots, cut in half
2 Bay leaves
4 Tbs All-purpose flour
2 Tbs Canola oil
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp Garlic salt
1 tsp Black pepper, ground fresh
1/4 tsp Granulated garlic

Note: I use Campbell's soups.

Method

Trim all the excess fat from the beef and cut into 1" cubes.

Season the beef with the garlic salt and coat with 2 tablespoons flour.

Heat the canola oil in a large heavy saute pan over medium-high heat.

Add the beef to the pan and quickly brown on all sides.

Note: If necessary, brown the beef in batches to avoid over-crowding the
pan.

While the beef is browning, preheat your slow cooker to high heat.

Add all three soups, garlic, pepper, bay leaves, and the Worcestershire to
the slow cooker.

Add the browned beef to the slow cooker and deglaze the pan with 2 1/2
cups water.

Add the deglazing water to the slow cooker, cover, and cook two hours on
high.

Add the celery, carrots and potatoes to the slow cooker and stir to
combine.

Cook another hour on high.

Combine 2 tablespoons flour and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl and whisk
with a fork until it forms a smooth slurry.

Add the flour and water slurry to the slow cooker, stir well, and cook
another 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve and enjoy!

-----
John

Consider that recipe stolen John.....lol....Looks farking awesome!

Way to go John. One of my aunts loved my crockpot so much I gave it to her and I just bought a new one to replace it. This looks like the perfect stew to baptize it with. Thanks for the recipe and post. :thumb:

Crock pot Hearty Stew

Olive oil – about 2 tablespoons
2 carrots 1/8-1/4" round sliced
4 tbl spoons flour - for roux
1/2 lb of meat at least of your choice cubed ( I Like 3 lbs of smoked beef)
1 whole medium onion, type your choice - chopped
2 whole cloves of fresh garlic - chopped
2 stalks celery – coarsely chopped
2 med Jalapenos - coarsely diced
2 beef bullion cubes or 2-4 cups of beef stock
Salt, red or black pepper to taste
1 bottle of beer your choice Optional
1 12oz. can of Rotel – drained Optional if you want less spicy
1 12 oz. Can of diced tomatos

Combine meat, onion, celery carrot & garlic with Oil in pot on stove, use high heat untill celery & onion are translucent.
If using raw unsmoked meat for the stew make sure to brown meat while sweating the aromatics...
add flour and reduce heat until roux is med brown do not burn roux.

dump everthing in Crock pot and go for it...except the following ingredients...

1 hour before ready to eat.
Add 3 potatoes 1/4 in diced
Add water or stock as needed for consistancy..

6-8 hrs on low or 3-5 on high

Just about everything from that chicken with onions, carrots, peppers and curry.

Here's one of my favorite BBQ cooking adventures..

Just about everything from that chicken with onions, carrots, peppers and curry.

Get that Cast Iron Dutch Oven (or my huge 15 “ CI Skillet) out of the cupboard and fire up the BBQ !

4 – 6 whole chicken leggs, cut in pieces
6 hard boiled eggs, peeled
1 lbs chicken livers, cut in 2
½ lbs chicken gizzards, cut in bite size pieces
2 large onions, chopped up
2 carrots, chopped up
2 poblano peppers, sliced
2 cups of Medium grain rice (uncooked)
4 – 5 Tblsp curry powder
3 – 4 cups chicken broth and some dry white wine
1 tub of sour cream
olive oil
1/3 cup lightly salty Soy sauce
1/2 Tblsp sugar
corn starch
Black pepper, Salt and Cayenne pepper to taste

Combine the soy sauce with the sugar and 1 cup of the chicken broth in a bowl and let the chicken livers and gizzards marinate in it, in the fridge for 1 hour.

Rub the chicken leg parts with some olive oil and spice with pepper and salt and brown these on the BBQ and cook until almost done.

Sautee the onions, poblano peppers and the carrots, with the drained chicken livers and gizzards (reserve the marinade) in the DO with some butter and olive oil to lightly browned. Then add the pieces of chicken to the DO.

Stir in the uncooked rice.

Combine the marinade from the liver and the rest of the chicken broth with the curry powder; stir to a smooth mixture and add to the DO.

Now add the sour cream to the DO while stirring , and then add the whole hardboiled eggs to it – make sure the meat and eggs are completely covered, use more broth or dry white wine if needed.
Cover the DO and let slowly simmer on a low fire – the longer the better it will taste..

Finally - if necessary - thicken with some cornstarch mixed with a couple of Tblsp water and bring it up to taste with some more curry powder and cayenne pepper.

Serve the chicken curry mix and make sure you have a piece of freshly baked bread ready to sop up the juices and a cold beer to wash it all down.

Here's my recipe, some people call it a stew, others a pot roast, either way I don't really care, I just like it.

Ingredients

• 4 pounds beef chuck roast, rinsed and patted dry
  • Salt and pepper
  • Cumin (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1/2 lb small new potatoes, halved (or quartered if they're large)
  • 1/2 lb bag baby carrots
  • 1 small bag, frozen pearl onions
  • 1 (6-ounce) can whole mushrooms
  • 5-6 Garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
  • 1 packet onion soup mix
  • 1 cup Red wine (Burgundy or Zinfandel)
  • 1/4 cup steak sauce
Add potatoes to bottom of crock pot.
Season roast with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, brown meat on all sides. Place meat in crock pot on top of potatoes. Some people don't like the taste of cumin, but I love it so I then sprinkle it liberally with ground cumin. Add carrots, mushrooms, onion and garlic to crock pot. Mix together Cream of celery soup, onion soup mix, wine and steak sauce in a small bowl, pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours. Remove liquid from crock pot, and make a roux of 2 Tbsp softened butter and 1.5 Tbsp flour and add to liquid to thicken. Return the liquid to the crock pot and serve.

Last edited:
Here is a recipe give by brethren FNbish looks awesome and uses leftover meats.

Hope it helps.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105576

p.s. if you do a search, there are tons and tons of threads about Brunswick stew

I made this 2 days ago :p. Still my favorite/easy brunswick stew recipe. Very easy to tweak and with not too many ingredients. Looks like they don't want a brunswick stew.............hmmmmmm now I have to think.

Don't forget the barley, not the fermented kind, the pearl barley kind. I put that in every stew I make and it can't be beat. Even if you have potatoes in there, the barley just adds that certain something that helps with texture. The fermented barley also helps:thumb:. Comes in many bottled forms!

How bout an Italian take ...

Tuscan Stew

15 ounces white beans, canned, rinsed and drained
3 whole Italian sausage links, quartered ( fresh chicken Italian sausage even better)
1 whole onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
28 oz can Whole Tomatoes, broken up by hand
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
16 ounces Kitchen Basics no salt added chicken broth
4 ounces spinach, rinsed
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated

1. In a medium crock pot, add first 8 ingredients. Cook on low for 6 hours.
2. Add spinach to pot and wilt leaves.
3. Serve in a bowl and sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.

Sorry to say this but if your using someones recipe how can you call it a win if you do happen to win?

Back