Brisket In Progress

smokainmuskoka

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm in the process of cooking a brisket for Father's Day.

8lbs from a local butcher, salt and pepper rub, and I'm cooking it in my UDS with lump and oak chunks.

Her are a couple of pics of the meat after the rub was applied and the brisket in the UDS at 165F.

Last edited:
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

OK, after my brisket hit 198F and I probed, I foiled and coolered the beast for a couple of hours. When probing, there were a couple of resistant spots, but I wanted to err on the side of caution and figured they would finish cooking during the rest. Well, boy did I err!

The brisket came out of the foil with a beatiful deep , rich mahogeny colour, but not much smoke ring. I seperated the point and carved some slices of flat, which compare to other briskets I've done was tough. I then carved some slices off the thick end of the point and they were tougher than the flat. To say the least after 3 really successful briskets, this one was a dud(or so I thought).

I decided after dinner to cut my losses and cube the remaining meat for chili. As I was doing that, I found certain areas of the cut were moist and tender as I would have expected, other areas still seemed "clenched". I'm giving ome of the point to my BIL and SIL, and the rest will be chili for us.

All in all, I came away having felt like I learned something more about this hobby I love. and I'm looking forward to the chili cook and future briskets.

Attachments

• 100_1219.jpg
    100_1219.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_1221.jpg
    100_1221.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_1222.jpg
    100_1222.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 42
Back