Cost of brisket

Ribbin' Randy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello Brethren. I was just curious what you guys (and gals!) pay for brisket. I've only done a couple of them because the cheapest I can get them for around here(Indy--go Colts!) is about $5/lb. A bit cost prhibitive when feeding a crowd

Thanks, Randy

last time I checked Restaurant Depot had Choice non-Angus packers for around $1.79, cheaper if by the case. CAB choice was a little higher.

I know the Sams by us has whole packers this time of year for around the same, but come May or June, and through the summer, all they ever have is flats, for almost 4$ per lb.:eek::mad:

The first (and only so far) comp I did, I bought a whole brisket from a Kosher butcher. The meat was fantastic BUT I paid almost $10.00 per pound. The whole brisket cost me $130.00.:shock:

I have since located a different butcher that charges me about $3.50/Lb. for Prime cuts. Not "cheap" but WAY more affordable.

I just bought a case of briskets this past Saturday from Restaurant Depot for $1.99/lb case price

Walmart here in Murfreesboro, TN usually has packer briskets for $1.86/lb. Lately Kroger here as had small Angus flat's on sale for $1.99/lb.

Does your local Walmart carry packers? If not, ask them to order some. I can get them here in Central IL for less than $2/lb - but another local store is over $4/lb.

Does your local Walmart carry packers? If not, ask them to order some. I can get them here in Central IL for less than $2/lb - but another local store is over $4/lb.
Super wally world is where i get mine too.
Full packers in cryovac ..typically pay 22.00-25.00 for a 12-14lb packer

I gotta move. I can't find brisket for under $3.49 a pound any where in my town and that's the choice stuff.

Not to hijack, but there might be a service similar in your area...I wish there was here.
When I was in Ft. Wayne, I got turned on to a company called Grabill Food Services. They owned their own butchering/processing plants and offered locally grown meats. They sold the meat priced per pound regardless of how it was processed. So, beef at the time cost me about $2./lb regardless of how I ordered it. Get this, the owner goes to customer's houses and talks to them about what they like - how many roasts, steaks, etc. I was able to order exactly what I wanted. Same with chicken (which was less than $1.50/lb) Great food, great price, great service. Oh, and they would deliver it, put it our freezer, and whatever didn't fit, they stored at their business for free. When we had room in the freezer, we called and they delivered the rest.

The first (and only so far) comp I did, I bought a whole brisket from a Kosher butcher. The meat was fantastic BUT I paid almost $10.00 per pound. The whole brisket cost me $130.00.:shock:

I have since located a different butcher that charges me about $3.50/Lb. for Prime cuts. Not "cheap" but WAY more affordable.
And how did you do in the comp?

I buy when my local Kroger has packers for .99 cents/lb. I buy several put in freezer

David

Man, just wish I could find brisket.... Couldn't get one this weekend. Paid $6 per # for pork butt this weekend and did that instead. If I want brisket I have to special order from a downtown butcher and wait like 4 days for it to come in.... Wish I could just walk into a store and get boston butts and brisket on demand.... Costco doesn't even sell these cuts here.... And I had to wait 2 days for a shipment of butt at my local grocer....

Bacon 99, How far are you from the states? I pay $1.69 for Angus Brisket but I use 7-9 cases a week.

Back