Ridiculous Price of Guru

BRBBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a Guru to my UDS, I see some folks do and I would like to set it and forget it. After looking at Guru's web page it shows the DigiQ DX price of $179, I'm thinking not bad, then you hit the color button and it jumps in price from the $179 to $291:mad2: The paint shouldn't cost another $100 for something the size of a pop can:confused::mad: I'd paint it myself

I went to their web page seems to me someone could rig one of those thing up a lot cheaper. Might not look as fancy.

I was thinking of adding a Guru to my UDS, I see some folks do and I would like to set it and forget it. After looking at Guru's web page it shows the DigiQ DX price of $179, I'm thinking not bad, then you hit the color button and it jumps in price from the $179 to $291:mad2: The paint shouldn't cost another $100 for something the size of a pop can:confused::mad: I'd paint it myself

did you look at the package that you add a fan and adaptors with it. then the price jumps up for the cost of the fan.

If you have a temp gauge, just get a NanoQ. Total package about $200.00

In fact, I'm ordering a second one this week, as well as an extra fan & temp reader.

Yea, that’s about the right price. I think you get what you pay for and this is a great piece of equipment. Price should not be a concern for the right piece of equipment. I use one for my UDS and it works perfectly. Easy to use and I set it and forget it. Oh by the way - they just took RGC at the Jack.

Last edited:
I like the Guru stuff....think about the $$$$ youll save in fuel and time...keep in mind your hobby isnt a cheap one..

p.s. why blast some one over the price of a product??? are you gonna blast Weber over a $399. tag on a 22 1/2?.. good products are just that good products. whats next $7.99 over a bottle of Yard Bird??

me personally, when i find the need for something like this i think i'll build me own. Like bmarley5780 said, it's in the PID.

Maybe I'm looking at Guru's info wrong, but don't believe so. Once you enter a color on the guru web site, the price jumps $100! It's posted at $179 I just entered the standard items, 10 cfm fan, bulkhead adapter,standard meat probe, standard pit probe, and color, boom! Price jumps. They should just put the $291 on the selling price to begin with instead of $179... I just want fan and pit probe, I don't care about meat sensor.

that the best fun of bbq is coming up with things I like cheap. No one said it would be easy.

I like the Guru stuff....think about the $$$$ youll save in fuel and time...keep in mind your hobby isnt a cheap one..

p.s. why blast some one over the price of a product??? are you gonna blast Weber over a $399. tag on a 22 1/2?.. good products are just that good products. whats next $7.99 over a bottle of Yard Bird??
I'd pay that for a weber:becky:

Just curious, but if the WSM and a UDS are already set and forget, why the need for this type of equipment? I can see if for bigger rigs and set ups where you need to move air faster and compensate for temps drops more quickly, but why in a WSM or UDS or Kettle, or smaller units?
If a person can already get 10+++ hour steady burns on these units, how does this type of technology make it better. Most times, steady is a difference of 5 degrees or so just by the unit on its own.
Interesting topic.

Bob

Maybe I'm looking at Guru's info wrong, but don't believe so. Once you enter a color on the guru web site, the price jumps $100! It's posted at $179 I just entered the standard items, 10 cfm fan, bulkhead adapter,standard meat probe, standard pit probe, and color, boom! Price jumps. They should just put the $291 on the selling price to begin with instead of $179

You are looking at the price wrong. The $179 is the base price for the DigiQ controller only. The fan and bulkhead adapter adds $112 to the base price of the DigiQ giving you the total of $291, not the paintjob.

When you select which fan and adapter you want and you see (+72) next to it, that is a dollar amount.

Here is the DigiQ by itself, no fan, no adapter.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/DigiQ-DX--(No-Fan,-no-adaptor).html

Just curious, but if the WSM and a UDS are already set and forget, why the need for this type of equipment? I can see if for bigger rigs and set ups where you need to move air faster and compensate for temps drops more quickly, but why in a WSM or UDS or Kettle, or smaller units?
If a person can already get 10+++ hour steady burns on these units, how does this type of technology make it better. Most times, steady is a difference of 5 degrees or so just by the unit on its own.
Interesting topic.

Bob
For me, I would like to set the temp and not worry if the temp rise's or drops 100 degrees, which is usually when a person goes to bed.:becky:

For me, I would like to set the temp and not worry if the temp rise's or drops 100 degrees, which is usually when a person goes to bed.:becky:

I could see it for that kinda temp drop, but that's a huge drop. Do you guys feel that something like this woudl be a good investment for someone in an area where windy or really cold weather would be an issue. Never had that kind of temp variance in either of my drums or WSM, but then we have pretty mild weather all the time here. Never really hafta battle bad winds (except when we hit the windy season and I'm not gonna fire up the pit in our 50-60 mph wind storms in early spring.) Do those of you that have this technology use it to make up for weather issues?

Bob

Back